Star Lounger
    Thanks

Including my Outline Number in the TOC

I have a medium-large document (60 pages) and I am using Multi-level numbering. I'm creating the TOC using TOC fields (using the keyboard shortcut "alt+O."
    I'm trying to include the multi-level number in my TOC. So far the only way I've accomplished that is by generating the TOC using text "levels."
    that gives me too much text in the TOC (the entire paragraph).
    I've included an example of what I want the TOC to look like.

Thanks so much.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    From your description of the problem, you have run-in headings. Sorry, I don't know how to fix the field codes. I suggest you reformat the headings like so: If you are using a patched up W2003 and later, 1) place a return after at the end of the heading part of your paragraph, 1) apply the paragraph level or, preferably, appropriate style, 3) then with the cursor in the heading paragraph apply the style separator by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Enter. If you are using W2002 (unless MS corrected the function there too) and before, follow steps 1 and 2 and, for step 3, use 3a) select the paragraph mark at the end of the heading paragraph and apply the hidden font setting to it.

If you need more instructions, tell us the version of Word you are using.

Some heads ups about the style separator

It works by hiding the next return it encounters. If you are not careful in placing the cursor, you could hide a return that you don't want to.
    Make sure the the paragraph space after is the same in both parts of the joined paragraph. Otherwise, you'll get unwanted line spacing either after the first line (W2007/10) or after the joined paragraph (W2003).
    If the body text is justified, make sure the heading is also justified. Otherwise the first line could be short (not justified).

HTH,
    Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam, Thanks for the instrucitons. The document is not an old Word document but the text came from a Word Perfect document.
    What I did was 1) fresh "sheet of paper" 2) Insert, Text from a file. Then saved the document.
    Now I'm adding formatting.

Seperating the style is actually working very well. Thank you so much for taking part of your Sunday to respond.

Charlotte
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam on working with this further....it is still not working very well. Any other suggestions?
    Is there any option at all for creating a TOC using TOC fields and including the Multi-Level numbering in the TOC?
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Starting fresh was a really good idea. First, which version of Word are you using? If 2007/10, did you create your list by clicking the multilevel list button and choosing from the list library one of the list icons that has Word's built in heading styles already linked ( such as 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3, ...)? And then, are you applying Word's built-in heading styles to your heading text?

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm doing this in Version 2010. Yes, I picked the multi-level numbering from the Multi-level numbering list and "tied" the levels to styles. No, not using built-in heading styles. I'm creating the TOC using only Text Levels. It works, but it sure took a long time to figure it out! At least now I know...
    Thanks for all your help.
    Charlotte
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glad to help.

Thanks
    Consider automatically generating your TOC from Heading styles. Put the numbering you want in your heading styles. (I didn't look at your document, it is possible that you are already doing this. Manually creating a TOC by generating your own TC fields is really doing things the hard way.