3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W7 will not recognize network printer

OK, here’s my situation. I have a desktop computer. I have an older Epson printer attached to the parallel port. I also have a USB Canon Pixma IP4000 printer attached to the desktop..

I have 3 other laptop computers which connect wirelessly. The desktop and 2 of the laptops connect fine to the Epson and the Canon printers. These are all XP.

But my newest computer is a W7 computer. It recognizes the Epson and works fine with that.

How do I get it to see and use the Canon printer (I think it used to work with it). When I try and add a printer and specifiy network printers it does not find the Canon. Any suggestions?

Mel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HomeGroup versus WorkGroup

I wonder if this might involve a WorkGroup issue. If all computers were Windows 7 machines, it is usually very easy to share printers. However, that is not the case between Windows 7 and Windows XP. If not already tried, how about setting up a WorkGroup (with the same name) for your computers.
    Link below solved similar problem:
    http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...-me-least.html

Good luck and let us know how you solved your printer problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    According to MS it's not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit (don't know which version you have) http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...n Pixma ip4000
    Last edited by butchcoats; 2011-06-27 at 11:02.

Thanks
    On my Canon, I had to load the software first then search for the printer. According to the Canon site there are indeed drivers for Win 7 for this printer. I would suggest downloading the correct drivers for you OS on the Win 7 PC, then try again. There is also a link for the My Printer software package on that same site.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy