Star Lounger
    Thanks

upgrading outlook 03?

Hello - All, I'm trying to help a friend with her email. We think we've found the problem. Her business email is on earthlink - her ISP is verizon. Outlook was ignoring or not deleting msgs. on earthlink server and they were piling up...That caused verizon problems with cryptic msgs. which she didn't understand. Now that we know where the bottleneck is....All msgs. once d/l to outlook are manually deleted from earthlink...I've checked the option in outlook to do that. It seems to work? I noticed in her add/remove programs area, MS updates have installed office 2007 updates, shouldn't that include outlook? She's still using outlook 03. Should she not upgrade and how? I use Mozilla TB/FF , so I'm not much help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If your friend has been offered some Office 2007 updates it could be that the Office 2007 File Compatability feature was installed. That allows older versions of Office to open the newer formats introduced in Office 2007.

Any upgrade from one Office version to another is not free. If your friend can afford the cost I think upgrading to Office 2010 is a good idea. Office 2003 is out of mainstream support and in extended support until April 8, 2014. That means only security fixes will be provided no more bug fixes.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Personally I don't see the point of upgrading unless you really have a need for the new features - I still run Office 2000.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes i also suggest don't upgrade your outlook Paul T you r correct.

Thanks
    Just my $.02 worth but if I decide I want to go from Office '07, to Office '10, I will take a serious look at Office 360 instead. I mean come on $72.00 a year?...not bad IMHO
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Just my $.02 worth but if I decide I want to go from Office '07, to Office '10, I will take a serious look at Office 360 instead. I mean come on $72.00 a year?...not bad IMHO
    I guessing that you really mean Office 365. The $6.00 USD per month SKU does not get you the Office desktop applications. See Office 365 for Small Businesses (P plan) for more information on what is in the plan. See Office 365 plans for midsize & enterprise for other plans at higher prices.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I guessing that you really mean Office 365.
    Maybe there is a discount if you accept 5 days of downtime.

Thanks
    Thanks for the catch there Joe... Since I retired, I havent had any need to count the days.....LOL
    As I said it is something to look at.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)