Lounger
    Thanks

SP1 + KB2529073 problems

On a new Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card that I put in, with only the graphics drivers installed, trying to follow the advice in a Windows Secrets newsletter, I allowed only KB 2533552 and KB 2534366 to be installed via WUA.

I then downloaded KB 976932, windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe, and applied that, which seemed to go successfully.

But, having also seen a discussion about the need for KB 2529073 "Binary files in some USB drivers are not updated after you install Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1" and finding that my USB drivers did not get updated, downloaded that update and applied it, too.

This landed me in BSOD 0x7E land, and upon getting to a command prompt, still have the older USB drivers.

Investigating this, I've seen one reference that those who downloaded and ran the executable installer were more vulnerable to the USB problem.

A quick search here didn't find any mention of this problem.

I'd be curious to know the ratio of those here who have installed SP1, and by which method, and if their USB drivers were successfully updated or not.

Thanks
    I installed SP1 on my laptop by downloading the file and installing. On wife's laptop used Windows Update. No problems whatsoever with either method. I did however disable or shutdown ALL other apps in both cases (disconnected from internet before shutting down security apps) as is suggested by MS. Could this have been part of your problem?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    The SP1 update itself appeared to work. The way I determined that there was a problem was comparing the dates of my USB drivers to the "25-Mar-2011" date shown in KB 2529073.

One thing I didn't do was run the System Update Readiness Tools, as seen in Susan's updated advice. Also, advice I've seen elsewhere suggests doing the update from a "Clean Boot." I'm going to try these steps after I restore the backup I made before installing SP1.

If the issue is USB drivers, I wonder if the system can't install the newer drivers by way of some Windows 7 update mechanism, as opposed to a special update?
    Last edited by rd23; 2011-06-27 at 18:56. Reason: clarify that SP1 wasn't the update leading to BSOD

Lounger
    Thanks
    Further investigating found Microsoft's own "Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center" (KB 2505743) where step 3 has three, not just two, updates to install before SP1: "Check Windows Update to see if you are offered the option to Install Windows Update KB2454826, KB2534366, or KB2533552".

I didn't look for or install KB 2454826.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I've had time to actually boot back into the Windows 7 system, there are more usb*.* files in system32\drivers, than when I first looked, and the relevant ones have a local date of 3-24-11, which matches the UTC date of "25-Mar-2011" in KB 2529073. (I've seen the advice in passing that several re-boots might be needed for some changes to really take effect. This is a different world than XP or NT.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    The other thing I noticed, that needs further investigation, is that the BSOD I get is not while doing something, but at the logon screen before I log on. But, it seems that Window 7 doesn't have a logon screen saver like XP, so I don't know what is being attempted that is leading to a crash.