New Lounger
    Thanks

Why can't users see a video in a public folder?

I am using the code below to play a wmv file that is stored in the public folder on the server. For some reason my page visitors can reach the page but all the see is a black page (that is the color of the background) and not the player that is started by user interaction. I can view the page on my network but I am not sure why noone from the outside can view it. I've been told it's possibly a permissions issue. Do you know how to get around this? I would like to embed certain files into a web site and have them play without a login or permissions issue.

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">
    < PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="videofilename.wmv">
    < PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
    < param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false">
    < PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false">
    < PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false">
    < EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="videofilename.wmv" NAME="MediaPlayer"
    WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED>
    < /OBJECT>

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What is the path to videofilename.wmv?

It looks like it has no publicly accessible path: You can see it because it's on your network, presumably in the same direcory that you are trying to view from, but visitors may not be able to see it becasue their browser doesn't know where to look for it.

Here's a snippet of code from a site that I built some time ago with the same embedded player. Notice the absolute path to the file.

Code:
    <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="400" HEIGHT="350" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> 
    <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://www.tintopcs.com/weather/videolasday.wmv"> 
    <PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true"> 
    <param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false"> 
    <PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false"> 
    <PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false"> 
    <EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="http://www.tintopcs.com/weather/videolastday.wmv" NAME="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="400" HEIGHT="350" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED> 
    </OBJECT>
    The live page for that is here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    What is the path to videofilename.wmv?

It looks like it has no publicly accessible path: You can see it because it's on your network, presumably in the same direcory that you are trying to view from, but visitors may not be able to see it becasue their browser doesn't know where to look for it.

Here's a snippet of code from a site that I built some time ago with the same embedded player. Notice the absolute path to the file.

Code:
    <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="400" HEIGHT="350" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> 
    <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://www.tintopcs.com/weather/videolasday.wmv"> 
    <PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true"> 
    <param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false"> 
    <PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false"> 
    <PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false"> 
    <EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="http://www.tintopcs.com/weather/videolastday.wmv" NAME="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="400" HEIGHT="350" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED> 
    </OBJECT>
    The live page for that is here.

I recoded to include the full path to the video in my HTML but it still won't play. Mind you the file in on the WHS and from what I've read it sounds like the video would have to be stored elsewhere as the server won't stream media unless you login and play it through the built in player. WHS I am discovering is not a server in the true sense of the word because it's limited so much by authentication.

Somehow I would have thought there'd be a way to actually "serve" a video other than just through the direct link which basically allows you to download the video.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Oh, I see, WHS. I assumed it was located on a web server.

I'm not entirely familiar with WHS, but regardless, you will need to make sure the file on your WHS installation is publicly accessible (that may be the permissions problem that you mentioned in the original post). Of course, you need you router to be port forwarding to your WHS installation and securely configure WHS to serve the file (that's the bit I'm unfamiliar with). Alternatively, can you ftp your wmv file up to a location on your web host and serve it from there? How about using a steaming service such as StreamBy?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Oh, I see, WHS. I assumed it was located on a web server.

I'm not entirely familiar with WHS, but regardless, you will need to make sure the file on your WHS installation is publicly accessible (that may be the permissions problem that you mentioned in the original post). Of course, you need you router to be port forwarding to your WHS installation and securely configure WHS to serve the file (that's the bit I'm unfamiliar with). Alternatively, can you ftp your wmv file up to a location on your web host and serve it from there? How about using a steaming service such as StreamBy?
    My file is directly accessible so somehow ist must be a permissions issue. I don't know how to get around it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Is the WHS functioning as the web server, as well?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In what way do you mean? It serves mp3's , and I run a Wordpress blog from it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are the web pages located there, as well?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Thats what's strange. If the page is on the server, and the code in the page points to the correct location, and the file is directly accessible from the web then why can't they all work in concert together?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the file accessible to everyone? I am not sure what IIS version (IIS is the web server software available on Microsoft's operating systems) WHS runs, but IIS uses a special account, the Internet Guest Account, for non authenticated access. The username is usually IUSR_YourComputerName. Does this user have permissions to access the video file?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Is the file accessible to everyone? I am not sure what IIS version (IIS is the web server software available on Microsoft's operating systems) WHS runs, but IIS uses a special account, the Internet Guest Account, for non authenticated access. The username is usually IUSR_YourComputerName. Does this user have permissions to access the video file?
    The file is public to all. Not sure of the IIS version but it in fact is included in the WHS OS. The Guest Account is on and does have access to the file but Guest accounts do not have remote access priviledge and cannot be granted.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like the web server can't access the public folder.

Can you give us a link to the page that has the issue?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just to make it clear, this is not a regular guest account, like the usual guest accounts in Windows. Have you checked the file's and folder's permissions for this specific account?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    WHS v1 is based on Windows Server 2003 (maybe R2) which would be IIS 6.0. WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 which would be IIS 7.5.

WHS is not intended to be a general purpose server though it can be used as such with the proper hardware. You need to logon the server itself rather than use the remote admin console to check the permissions for the file in question.

Joe