New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Cannot delete folder from Favorites in IE9

I am writing in reference to "Valekhawke" post on; "Can't Delete Folder-Could not find this item" thread.

I am experiencing the exact same problem as Valekhawke although I am running vista. I am not as computer literate as you guys, and am wondering if you can provide me with a step by step instruction on how to fix this problem (or even info that I can copy and paste into my command prompt)
    I must admit that I got lost at post #9 about ICACLS.

any help would be much appreciated. These folders in IE9 favorites that I cant remove are starting to annoy me.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Drew, Welcome to the Lounge.

Have you actually gone to the favorites folder in windows explorer, or just tried to delete from the Favorites drop down list when the browser is open? C/users/"User Name"/Favorites Perhaps going directly to the folder might help.

I might also try uninstalling, then reinstalling IE9. Control Panel, Programs and features, View installed updates link to left, find IE9, uninstall. Your browser will revert to IE8. Then try to download directly from MS, disconnect from the internet, shut down all other apps including security and reinstall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    Thanks for your reply, Yes I have tried deleting from the folders, and directly from the favorites list in Explorer. Below is a copy of a thread from Joe the administrator to another user about how to fix it, but I got lost following it;

If you have UAC disabled, enable it.

Try using ICACLS to remove and reset permissions. See Icacls - Technet.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...#BKMK_examples

It could be that there is a non-displayable special character in the folder name. Can you copy the other folders & files under "Tech Stuff" to another location and then in an elevated command prompt use RMDIR at the "Tech Stuff" level. If it owkrs you can re-create "Tech Stuff" and then move the copies back to it.

I was hoping of another solution rather than having to delete and re-install just incase it happens again.

Andrew.
    Last edited by Drewww; 2011-06-27 at 22:44. Reason: added link

Administrator
    Thanks
    Here's the link to the thread that has been mentioned - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/132417-Can't-Delete-Folder-%22Could-not-find-this-item%22?p=770507&viewfull=1#post770507.

Have you tried copying any data under the folder in question that you wish to keep?

Open an elevated command prompt - Click the Start Orb, type CMD in the search bar, right click CMD.EXE in the results, select "Run as administrator".

Type CD "C:\Users\<%Username%>\Favorites\NameOfFolderYouWi shToDelete", hit Enter.

Type RMDIR /S "C:\Users\<%Username%>\Favorites\NameOfFolderYouWi shToDelete", hit Enter.

Repsond Y to "do you really want to do this".

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Drewww (2011-07-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe,
    Thank you so kindly for your help. This nailed it.

You made it very easy to do, I also owe you a Beer sometime.

Cheers and greatfully yours Drewww

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

windows favorites that won't delete

I have also had the same problem with files (especially favorities with IE) that will not delete. MS saids just hide them. Others give advice such as trying to delete under administrator etc. None of them work. Period. The only way I've found to be successful is to use a program called UNLOCKER. Go to http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ and download unlocker. Wait a minute. This program is not a only a great unlocker but has a delete only function that takes care of this problem. Hard to believe MS is still producing products with the same old problems. Hopes this helps.

Bill