New Lounger
    Thanks

Text in Word drawings fails to print

I have a Word 2003 document with a number of drawings (Microsoft Office Drawing Objects, to be precise). They look fine in Print Layout and on Print Preview, but when I actually print them a random selection of text is missing. Some of the elements are Text Boxes, and some are Rectangles with text on top, either grouped or ungrouped, but it affects all of them. I've fiddled with all the print options that might have an effect, and nothing helps. I've tried printing to different printers (all Xerox though), two different "print to PDF" tools and the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, and the outputs all have the same problem.

I've gone on the web but most of the official MS stuff relates to the problem of drawings failing to print entirely. Several people suggest that randomly disappearing text might be a symptom of out-of-date printer drivers, but I'd be surprised that this would affect all my "printer" drivers including the PDF writers and the Document Image Writer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Curiouser and curiouser...

The problem seems to be associated with another one. The problematic drawing started off as a copy of another one in the same document, and we've just noticed that the text out of the text boxes I've added to the second drawing is also appearing at random locations in the original drawing. If I then edit the text in the second drawing, the changes are magically echoed in the original drawing, which gets progressively messed up as I tweak the second one. It's like the Microsoft Office Drawing Object of Dorian Gray.

I've also discovered that if I create a new blank document and cut and paste in the entire contents of the duff one, then some of the text is missing from the drawings, just as it is when I print them. I think we've managed to fix all these problems by deleting the drawings, and pasting them in twice from another document, so we definitely have two separate drawings. If I then edit the second one it doesn't mess up the first, and it all prints.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I never got to the bottom of this, but it does seem to be a known problem caused by copying and pasting drawings within the same document, leaving them mysteriously "linked". The workrounds all involve copying and pasting the drawing in from a second, "temporary" document.