New Lounger
    Thanks

Question "" in userform deletes docvariable

I have a userform and there are several variables that I allow to be blank (""). When a user leaves one of these fields blank and my code writes the "" to the docvariable the variable is deleted. I think this is a "feature" of Word 2007.

Is there a way to prevent this because I allow the user to reopen the userform and when the form initializes I get an error because the variable no longer exist. I want the user to be able to add a non-blank vlaue later if they change their mind.

Thank you

Thanks
    You need to adapt your code to assign a unique character (maybe a hyphen?) to the variable when the field is left blank.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am wrestling with this at present and can think of a couple of workarounds for this problem.
    1. Create a function to check for the presence of the docvariable and returns the value if found or "" if not found
    2. Follow Jefferson's suggestion and then if you are using the value in a field you can nest it to not show {If {DocVariable aa} = "-" "" {DocVariable aa}}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

user leaves on of these fields blank and my code writes the "" to the docv the variable is deleted

WebHarvest: can you please share your userform code for variables you are allowing to be blank (""). I'm brand new to vba, and it's driving me up the wall. I've found many ways to accomplish what you described, "When a user leaves one of these fields blank and my code writes the "" to the docvariable the variable is deleted." However, I can't get any to work properly or totally. I have a very simple userform requesting 10-15 pieces of information. It requests the first and last names of two people, then places their names in many places throughout the document. When only one person's is required, I can't delete or get rid of all of the docvariables "Error! docvariable not supplied." from the actual document for the second person.

the appropriate sample of my code is:

Private Sub cmdSubmit_Click()
    Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
    Me.Hide
    oVars("varPerson1FirstName").Value = Me.txtPerson1FirstName.Value
    oVars("varPerson1LastName").Value = Me.txtPerson1LastName.Value
    'adds "and" in between the two names in certain places in the document
    oVars("varAndifPerson2").Value = Me.txtAndifPerson2.Value
    oVars("varPerson2FirstName").Value = Me.txtPerson2FirstName.Value
    oVars("varPerson2LastName").Value = Me.txtPerson2LastName.Value
    ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
    Set oVars = Nothing
    Unload Me

End Sub

Then, I am using \*CHARFORMAT where the docvariable is placed throughout the document.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Wouldn't mind code deleting the docvariable for the 2nd person information, left blank in userform, when there is only one person's name in the userform/document.

Thanks, in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by webharvest View Post
    I have a userform and there are several variables that I allow to be blank (""). When a user leaves one of these fields blank and my code writes the "" to the docvariable the variable is deleted. I think this is a "feature" of Word 2007.

Is there a way to prevent this because I allow the user to reopen the userform and when the form initializes I get an error because the variable no longer exist. I want the user to be able to add a non-blank vlaue later if they change their mind.

Thank you

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't want a character (a hyphen, as suggested) to display in your document, try setting an empty form field to two or three spaces in the doc variable. I recall that will not delete the doc variable, and you won't see anything displayed in the document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would either use content controls and an embedded xml file linked to those CCs or just get the vba to do whatever alterations to the content you require. Since you are using VBA anyway you might as well just have the code write/delete content in the file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. That sounds like the right choice, have the code write/delete content in the file. Struggling with this. Not sure where to put the delete code. I found these, but not sure how to use them with my sample code provided earlier:

Sub RemoveDocVarFieldsWithNoDocVars()
    Dim fld As Word.Field
    For Each fld In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If fld.Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
    If Left(fld.Result, 6) = "Error!" Then
    fld.Delete
    End If
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

other one i found:

Sub RemoveDocVarFieldsWithNoDocVars()
    Dim flds As word.Fields
    Dim fld As word.Field

Set flds = ActiveDocument.Fields
    For Each fld In flds
    If fld.Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
    If fld.result = "Error! No document variable supplied." Then
    Debug.Print fld.code
    fld.Delete
    End If
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

where would they go in the vba code? any assistance is sincerely, appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Add a line after

The line should just have the name of the macro you want to run eg

Code:
    RemoveDocVarFieldsWithNoDocVars