1. New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 crashes and/or closes and reopens web pages

I have tried IE9 for the third time because everything I read says it is safer and faster. I tried 3 months ago and it would constantly crash or close and reopen web pages so reverted back to IE8 (very few problems then). Tried again about 6 weeks ago and same thing happened so again went back to IE8. I have Windows 7 64 bit. I recently got better internet service so I tried again to use IE9 and again it crashes and closes web sites. It doesn't seem to matter what web site I am on it will have problems. In fact it just did it to me again using this web page. I am ready to go back to IE8. Is there anything else I can do to improve IE9?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    Do you have anything in Event Viewer that could provide info on why IE 9 is crashing?

4. Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running IE with addins disabled?

Joe

Thanks
    Here's a link that will help you trouble shoot your problem;http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do you have anything in Event Viewer that could provide info on why IE 9 is crashing?
    I found Even Viewer and it shows nothing under IE. I don't know much about Event Viewer so maybe I am looking at it wrong.

7. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    It's possible that it won't show anything, but it was also possible that it had something there.
    Have you tried disabling GPU rendering and see if it makes any difference? You can do that by clicking ALT to show the menu, then Tools->Internet Options. Advanced Tab and then check Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you I do have that checked. I also disabled my add ons and updated the one add on I can't do without (Roboform) but I haven't been in IE very much since then so I don't know if that took care of the problem. The little I have used IE though it seems to have worked.

9. Administrator
    Thanks
    As tedious as it will be enabling your addins one or two at a time should help isolate the culprit. Run for a bit before you enable any more.

Some of the biggest troublemakers for IE are third party toolbars. If you have any you should consider updating them. If you really don't use the toolbar uninstall it rather than just turning it off.

Joe