Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two networks...intermittant loss of connectivity

hello again, mates...(it's been years, i think)...

just came over from XP Pro...had to get a 64-Bit machine; & went w/ an ASUS running Win7 Home...which I upgraded to Pro.

I began to lose my internet connectivity, intermittantly...& noticed that, when it happened, the Network icon in the task bar showed TWO networks...(???)...

...one labeled 'Network - No Internet Access'...

...& the other labeled: 'Unidentified Network - No Internet Access'.

Sometimes the problem would go away if i rebooted, but eventually it became a permanent dilemna.

Verizon checked my modem...said it was fine, but sent me a new one anyway. Same problem continued.

Took the PC back to Best But & swapped it for a new one...& it's been fine 'till this evening. It denied me access once...I rebooted; & got it back.

Obviously, something is amis w/ Win 7 Pro in the way the network connection is set up...can't be two modems or two computers.

anyone have any thoughts on how to rectify this problem...???

thanx,

mark4man

UPDATE: on the above problem, I noticed it seems to happen right around the time that the OS goes looking for windows updates

UPDATE (WEIRDNESS) #2: not in the same category...sorry, but...turned the machine on this morning & windows could not find my desktop. rebooted & there it was. (they don't really have this thing fully ironed out yet, do they?)
    Last edited by mark4man; 2011-06-28 at 15:53.

Thanks
    Hi Mark, have you tried another LAN Cable ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Check for firmware updates for the router and BIOS updates for the PC.

Is the PC connected via ethernet or wirelessly?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mark, have you tried another LAN Cable ?
    yep...same deal

Is the PC connected via ethernet or wirelessly?
    ethernet

Check for firmware updates for the router and BIOS updates for the PC
    will do...but it happened again this morning (2 networks, no connectivity)...I rebooted; & was fine. THEN...as i went to shutdown...there were the doggone windows updates, ready to install.

I still think that's weird (even tho it may not be the cause)

thanx,

mark4man

Thanks
    Mark, try clearing your router to factory specs, & re input the details re your ISP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mark, try clearing your router to factory specs, & re input the details re your ISP
    verizon had me do that (reset)...& then they assigned a new #.

why don't u guys think it's windows update...???

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think it is Windows Update because there would be widespread reports if this was a Windows Update failure. I've seen several posts where an ISP says their hardware including the line is OK, but more testing shows that it is a line problem or a ISP supplied modem problem or an ISP network problem.

It could be a settings issue but with two different PCs having the same issue that is unlikely.

Joe

Thanks
    Mark, if your system uses 'Micro Filters' change it.

Thanks
    How many network adapters are listed in Device Manger? Do you have the latest driver updates for your network adapters? Do you have any Yellow Error indicaters shown in device manger?

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517: I don't think it is Windows Update because there would be widespread reports if this was a Windows Update failure
    well...you're right about that...I disabled windows update & the problem continues to happen. one thing i've noticed is that EACH & EVERY TIME the problem occurs...TWO networks are listed at the network icon in the task area

How many network adapters are listed in Device Manger? Do you have any Yellow Error indicaters shown in device manger?
    only one...a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller...w/ NO yellow exclaimation points (of course...at this moment...i'm properly connected to the internet...hence, only one network is showing at the task bar icon)

Do you have the latest driver updates for your network adapters?
    going for those soon as i leave this reply

Mark, if your system uses 'Micro Filters' change it
    ???

I've seen several posts where an ISP says their hardware including the line is OK, but more testing shows that it is a line problem or a ISP supplied modem problem or an ISP network problem
    well...verizon is sending a tech tomorow morning...so i'm hoping he'll be able to check that...& other stuff like signal strength, etc.

thanx all...be back as soon as possible

mark4man

UPDATE: Updating via device manager tells me that i have the latest driver. driver robot also tells me it's fine. went to pc pitstop to download anyway, but am not sure if i need the 32 or 64
    Last edited by mark4man; 2011-06-30 at 22:51.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In looking for driver updates you are better off going to the PC manufacturer's support site or the NIC OEM support site. Windows Update is notorious unreliable for providing correct driver information.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've experienced a total failure of the DHCP component of Win 7 SP1. The symptoms sound at least similar. Could this be relevant? http://www.miqrogroove.com/blog/2011...-dsl-internet/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    joe...thanx

microgroove...not sure, but thanx. verizon WAS able to ping my modem...& they were able to determine that my modem was communicating w/ the pc. when I ran the windows network diagnosis...it told me it's DNS problem.

does that soubd related to DHCP...???

mark4man

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem I encountered was characterized by the modem working correctly and the Win 7 SP1 machine being unable to contact a DNS server. It might be the same problem. The way you would troubleshoot it is by setting a static IP address on the PC as well as static DNS addresses from your ISP or OpenDNS. If everything works fine with static address assignment, then DHCP is indeed broken.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have fought this unidentified network problem on several computers where I supply the tech support. I reached clear back into win98 days to find a fix. The following thread has the two commands in the first post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...-protocol.html

These two commands must be run from an elevated command prompt and will require a reboot.

Let us know if this resolves the problem. You may have a router that is not playing nice with IPV6.
    Last edited by mercyh; 2011-07-03 at 20:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast