Thanks

IE9 simply will not allow me to install it

Hey folks,

A couple of months ago I posted a thread in the Vista forum that after I installed IE9 on that 64 bit Home premium HP laptop with Core 2 Duo processor I wasn't able to do anything that relied on Windows Explorer, such as Windows Update, Control Panel or simply opening Windows Explorer. I found that if I went into Safe Mode I could access Explorer functions and subsequently was able to uninstall IE9 after which all was well.

Well, after reading Susan Bradley's recommendation to finally go ahead and install IE9, I took the chance on my Sony Vaio Win 7 64 Home Premium system with i3 CPU, and the same thing happened. Any function relying on Windows Explorer simply crashes Explorer, restarts and upon attempting anything else, crashes again. Again I accessed Control Panel while in Safe Mode and uninstalled IE9, and once again everything is fixed. In both cases other software ran ok, including IE9 itself.

I honestly couldn't believe that the same exact issue arose on two very different computers and two similar, but different OS's. Also two different antivirus and firewall programs: Avira and Comodo on the Vista machine, Norton on the Win 7. All other updates have been run, except for the 4 .NET ones from the last go-round.

Anyone here experienced or seen anything similar?
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

Thanks
    Since it works in safe mode, try the clean boot diagnostic procedure. Ignore the fixit that pops up.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for the response, Jerry. I guess I could do a clean restart (this is very close to Safe Mode, yes?), but to be honest, with the issue cropping up on two different computers, two different os'es two different security packages, and the fact IE9 is simply another browser, I may forego this procedure. I haven't tried the 'upgrade' on my main desktop computer yet, and after the two time failure, I am reluctant to do so..

This seems to be the year of the 'browser f*#k ups, first Firefox, which I love, and now IE. The only browser I am using now that works, and works well (without the extreme configurability of FF) is Chrome. I haven't used Opera in a long time, and just may try it again.

I'll post here if any new developments arise, and in the meantime if anyone else has run into this trouble, please, let me know!

Thanks again.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.