Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Excel 2010 - Pivot Table problem

I'm a PC Support Tech and I just saw a ticket about Excel 2010 and Pivot Tables. Not being experienced with this aspect of Excel, I'm hoping for some advice I can send back to the user. Here's what they sent:

Having problems running pivot tables when trying to do year to year shipment comparisons. With over a million shipments during the last 18 months, it kinda kills things. Can't even think about doing much at the line item level anymore, can only look at about 3 months of data.
    I'm thinking that the size is the problem ("a million shipments"), but that's all I can contribute.

Thanks
    That is quite a lot. I'd suggest putting the data into Access if you have it and then either pivot in excel off the access table (or a query) or download the Powerpivot addin for Excel and use that. It will easily handle that many records.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! I'll pass it on to my supervisor before sending it on as a suggestion to the user.

Thanks
    I'd just add that it may well be that the data is being extracted to Excel from another system, in which case you may be able to use Excel pivot tables or PowerPivot directly off that system instead.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good thought. The company (a large clothing retailer) makes heavy use of AS400. (I've only been here 6 days, so I'm still learning the organization.)