Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping you up to date: say no to .NET again

No code has to be inserted here.

Thanks

Re Firefox 5 vs. Firefox 4 and Extensions

I found that Firefox 4 broke a lot of Firefox Extensions, the worst outbreak of this sort of misbehavior I have yet seen in Firefox. I almost switched to Chrome. But Firefox 5 has fixed many of these issues, and I can now say that Mozilla appears to be back on track with Firefox development with regards to allowing Extensions developers to keep pace with the new rapid-release schedule. I am particularly pleased that Long URL Please and FEBE are back up and running. And there's a relatively recent Abine Privacy Suite which really helps with online privacy issues without slowing down Firefox or blocking necessary web site content from loading. Chrome now stands as the only major Windows browser which does not make it easy to opt out from Web Trackers.(Guess why!)
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to Office 2010 SP1

I can understand some of the caution for a business to evaluate all upgrades, especially to the core suite of Office, especially when macros and complex links are involved. However for most users, small business or home, at least in my experience, this release of SP1 is welcome to fix all the unwelcome bugs. I cannot believe that in an evolving product such as Office that so many issues are introduced with each need version, it simply smacks of poor development and quality control. The worst bug, which I cannot see as being fixed yet on the full list of issues xls issued by MS, is the Outlook 2010 IMAP slowness problem. Having migrated from 2003 to 2010 in the past year this has been one intolerable issue. To delete an email, for example, involves a response time of around 3 seconds, whereas with Outlook 2003 and even the new and free Windows Live Mail client, the delete is instantaneous! Don't MS departments talk to each other?! I have been sorely tempted to use WLM but I must have the calendar and contacts integration / syncing, so that's a non-starter. Anyway, hope that I am pleasantly surprised to see the IMAP issue fixed in SP1, but I doubt it. Here is the link to the MS spreadsheet of issues fixed... http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...20Changes.xlsx

Thanks
    I installed Office 2010 SP1 on 3 PC's, 2 64 Bit OS (win 7) and 1 32 Bit OS (Win 7) My Office 2010 is the 32 Bit version (I do not use large spreadsheets that would have required the 64 Bit). All installed successfully and all are operating very well. No problems at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say thank you for the Mac OSX blurb. While I use Windows most of the time, my Macbook Pro does get a bit of use as well, mostly for school-related things (web design) and I really don't relish having it bricked by a bad update.

Eric the Grey
    Doesn't Microsoft mean small and limp?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Office SP1 installed without any issues (32 bit edition on x64 and x86 Windows 7 installations) and I have had reports that some bugs in Office are solved by SP1. One particular issue, that has been discussed on the Lounge, regarding Outlook 64 bit as the default email handler, reachable from other apps, has been reported to be solved.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to see you are continuing to recommend people install IE 9, ignoring the fact that most users don't have the skills for all the tweaks you suggest. At the very least, you could say that you advise such people to WAIT until IE 9 has been improved to the point where all that is not needed!! That would be a responsible thing to say rather than urging them on to install and just saying Oh, if it doesn't work, uninstall it. Who knows what could have happened to their computer after the install and after they played around with all sorts of stuff! I wonder if you really have any idea of the lack of capability of some users, even if they do get this newsletter (or receive a copy of your article from a friend).

At this point, I am reading all of your material with a great deal of skepticism because of that. Nothing against you - but, I wish someone else would start writing the patch and install updates recommendations. I apologize, I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. Wish it weren't so.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    IE 9 installs and uninstalls quite uneventfully, at least that has been my experience in multiple PCs. With such a large number of Windows users, it's possible that some users have issues. Heck, I can't install Windows 7 SP1 on my desktop, which will make me perform a repair install when the time comes. Personally I really don't think the advice to install IE 9 is wrong. Surely not worse than recommending any other install or update, as they can go wrong as well.

Thanks
    I would also be willing to bet that many of those persons with upgrade install problems did NOT heed the MS advice to disable or shut down all apps, including security apps. I did not heed my own advice yesterday and tried an install of Offixe 2010 SP1 without doing this, would not install correctly. As soon as I came back to my proper frame of mind (have not a clue what I was thinking) and shut all apps including security down, installed without a hitch. Naturally when I disabled my security apps I had already disconected from the internet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the 'post' link in Susan Bradley's article in Issue 295 • 2011-06-30 points to the 2011-04-27 15:27 table. please correct this.

Regularly updated problem-patch chart

This table provides the status of problem patches reported in previous Patch Watch columns. Patches listed below as safe to install will be removed from the next updated table. On heavy patch weeks, you'll find the table in the most recent Windows Secrets Lounge Patch Watch column post.

New Lounger
    Thanks

FF 4 and 5

"It seems like only a few short months ago that I was urging you to install Firefox 4. Well. It was only a few short months ago. Three to be exact."

FF 4 was a disaster. The only good thing I found was that it ran faster, with less latency than 3.6.X, particularly with many open tabs. Broken Add-ons and especially the *frequent crashing* problems were an absolute deal breaker. I had to revert to FF 3.6.17 and that is where I will stay until I get reasonable assurance that FF5 will not misbehave.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RE: the Dot Net 4 part of your patch tome....
    I am happy to FINALLY get some relief with this issue.. .Finally , suggestions that offer some possibility of hope...!
    Dot Net 4 has completely HOSED my system (vista basic SP2).. and I have tried the asking at the MSDN forums, other M$ forums, other help forums, as well as trying to reinstall all the updates, have run several restores, patches, tips and tricks, until the damage done to my system from trying to FIX it is worse than the original 'infection'.. and , really, is there any other way to describe this 'update'? I have been unable to install applications, run many programs etc etc.. and Microsoft apparently didn't have a clue on how to fix it.

I'm going to carefully try every tip in that article.. and cross mah fingas!
    Doc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The updates to Firefox disable so many add-ons that they would invalidate my reason for using Firefox in the first place, many of which are security related. AIRoboform, Google taskbar, the ClearCache button, my banking Virtual Account login for disposable online credit card numbers, and more .... Firefox 4 updated didn't fix these, and the same holds true for Firefox 5. Until I start to see compatibility for the add-ons that make Firefox my default browser, I'll stick with what I've got!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to agree with the comment above that some of us are not advanced computer users! Sometimes my questions are prefaced with that admission. Too bad we didn't see this patch warning until today (when it came to my inbox), since the patches were already downloaded earlier this week. The dot net patches apparently did not cause me problems, but I always wonder what dot net does and if I even need the thing!

The main question I have is whether others have had a slow and jerky scrolling problem start after downloading FF 5? There doesn't seem to be any other problem (except that something has slowed the computer). Anyone else noticed the scrolling problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ff 5

I have reverted to FF 4 as I found that FF 5 will not open links on my home page, www.sympatico.ca unless I open them in a new tab. Apparently, I am not the only one as there is a comment to this on the Mozilla web site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast