5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power on light flashes alternately white and amber. Why?

I posted this in the Dell laptop forum last Saturday, and in view of the hundreds of posting since it doesnít look as though there will be any response now. On the assumption that most laptops are probably fairly similar, perhaps a lounger can answer my query.

Inspiron 1545 laptop running Vista SP2 has exhibited the above characteristic for some time. Itís mainly used during holidays and a weekly backup of my share trading software, plus any new patches. There doesn't seem to be any adverse effect, other than my wife saying she can not hear people when making internet phone calls if the light is flashing, as it usually is.

Is this something to worry about?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Maybe this can help: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...DB618613E.html

Other search results seem to point to some sort of battery problem. You may try and leave the power adapter on and remove the battery. If the blinking stops, you will know it's the battery.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks ruirib!

The link wasn't really much help, as it only mentions blinking blue and white lights indicating a non-Dell adapter, but mine came with the laptop and has dell's name on it. But it refers to a different laptop model and refers to other lights this does not have. I shall hunt on their website to see if there is a manual for the 1545.

I was going to try the other suggestion of removing the battery, but sod's law, it isn't blinking at the moment. Sunday a.m. my wife wanted to use it as a phone, but the light was blinking and she couldn't hear anything - later in the day it stopped blinking and she had no trouble with the call, and it hasn't been used since.

I will try again tomorrow or at the weekend to see if it is the battery, which has hardly ever been used, although it was kept in the fridge for some time on Fred Langa's suggestion.

Best wishes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    See http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...5/en/index.htm for Inspiron 1545 manuals.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2011-07-01)