4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AdAware won't accept negative survey comments!

Received an email this morning from LavaSoft inviting me to take a short product satisfaction survey. They noted that I registered AdAware Pro about 6 months ago and wanted my opinion. AdAware Pro was installed for only a few weeks and was then abandoned in favor of MSE. Basically, AdAware Pro was fiddly and intrusive and annoying. It may have been effective but then so are other A-V programs.
    So, I followed the link to their online survey and began checking the appropriate boxes. Essentially, each question they posed offered a choice of 3 responses along the lines of Very satisfied, Kinda sorta satisfied, or Unsatisfied. I selected a couple of Kinda sortas and several Unsatisfieds. When I clicked on Submit an error message appeared saying there was a technical problem and they couldn't submit the results at this time. I tried 3 more times in rapid succession with that same result each time. Then I changed all my responses quickly to Very satisfied and it instantly accepted my results. I reloaded the survey and chose the Kinda sortas and Unsatisfied responses again and, guess what, I got the error message again - unable to submit !!

Thanks
    I got rid of AdAware quite some time ago for this same finicky operation. There are many apps that work very well. Sounds like they want to skew the results their way. Very unprofessional!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In years gone by people raved about certain security programs such as ZoneAlarm firewall, AdAware and others. I used the old free AdAware and it was not intrusive; in fact, it was very useful. ZoneAlarm, however, was always a pain in the neck with a barrage of pop-ups that "should taper off after a short learning period" but that wasn't my experience. Also found that many other users would "Allow" or "Deny" a ZoneAlarm pop-up without knowing what exactly was asking for internet access (the process name was often different than the main program name). A 2-way firewall that requires the user to make uninformed security decisions is worse than useless, it's downright dangerous! At home, we depended on Windows' firewall and a good free A-V program like Avast, Avira or AVG at various times over the years. Personally, I have visited many dubious obscure websites and downloaded many programs to try over the years, and yet we have never lost personal info, been hi-jacked or turned into spam bots so I guess the "next to useless Windows firewall" ain't so bad after all. Anyhow, AdAware was pretty good when it was simple and limited in scope. Not anymore. These days it's Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, MSE and good ol' MalwareBytes as a backup scanner, just in case.

Thanks
    I also used Adaware and ZA but got rid of them for the same reasons Starvin did....
    They were good in their time but they really got bloated and some of them went to yearly subscription cost.

If I remember right, Zone Alarm would start reminding you to renew months before your subscription was up with constant popups...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Yes, AdAware it seems had it's day in the sun quite some time ago. Is it actually still a relevant tool?
    Why bother with something like this when there are far better solutions out there that are far less invasive and free.

Thanks
    It seems with any paid version that after awhile they start to nickel and dime you to death...I believe a lot has to do with greed on their part...

Since Microsoft came out with all their free security stuff I just switched over to theirs and never had any problems..

I'm happy...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"