Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

I can't turn off my mouse pad.

I have a new laptop. Needed it because my old one was so old, the space bar didn't work and because of other issues.

I love the new Windows 7 on my computer, except one thing. I NEVER use the mouse pad, hate'em. I buy a reg. mouse and use it. The mouse pad is located in such a place that I frequently brush it and mess up w/e I am typing at the time.

I tried to disable the mouse pad, but can't. The option to do so is never activated, I just see where the button is, but can't click it. I even uninstalled the driver software, but the computer detects the mousepad and makes it functional again.

I just want to be able to type my long papers for school without having to worry about accidentally brushing the mouse pad. I wan't it shut off.........for good.

How?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked in the BIOS?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Eh, I'm what you call (at least when it comes to computers) a functional illiterate. lol I know enough to get around, but thats all. IDK what a BIOS is even. Soooooo, I'd have to say............."No", haven't checked it lol. What is the BIOS?

I hope this isn't a flaw and it can't be shut off. Its really annoying.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm with you, I hate them too. I use an old MicroSoft track ball with my laptop.

What's the brand and model # of your laptop?
    Chuck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try this then. Click on the Start Orb, Right click on "Computer", click on "Manage", in the left pane click on "Device Manager", in the right pane double click "Mice and other Point Devices", right click on the touch pad, click on "Disable". "OK" your way out.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Oops. I think I accidentally closed this thread.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, I was wondering about that. OK...............Joe. I followed your instructions step by step and here is what happens:

1. Everything goes exactly step by step as it should until we get to "right click on the touch pad, click disable".
    2. When I right click the mouse pad, the pop up has no "Disable" option.
    3. The options are "Update software, uninstall (I've done this, at start up the computer recognizes the pad and turns it on), scan for hardware changes and Properties"
    4. I go into properties, and under the "driver" tab is the ghost "disable" option. I see it, but can't use it.

LOL. Is it just me, or should disabling the mouse pad not be this hard? Wonder if I messed things up when I uninstalled the driver software?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, and for the Doc...........I have a HP ProBook 4525s

I really like the computer, just wish I could get the mouspad OFF. lol

Thanks
    Hi Eriksoln, and welcome to the Lounge!

My Toshiba will not let me disable the trackpad from within Device Manager. Perhaps because if I forget to take my mouse one day, it would be very difficult to enable the trackpad again. To check the BIOS, also called Setup, as soon as you cut on the power switch, look for the initial screen that informs you to press F2, Del (Delete key), F1 or another key (varies depending on the BIOS version on your laptop) to enter BIOS or Setup. You have to catch it quickly, or restart when you get to your Windows login screen.

Look for an Advanced heading, and possibly a subcategory named System Configuration or something similar. Look for Internal Pointing Device or mousepad, or trackpad. Use your arrow keys to navigate the selections. Check keystroke instructions on the BIOS page, and use the key (usually Enter) to select the submenu and select disabled and press Enter, then select the Exit and Save function key.

That should do it, and if you need to enable it at some point, follow the same procedure to do so.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Hi Eriksoln, and welcome to the Lounge!

My Toshiba will not let me disable the trackpad from within Device Manager. Perhaps because if I forget to take my mouse one day, it would be very difficult to enable the trackpad again. To check the BIOS, also called Setup, as soon as you cut on the power switch, look for the initial screen that informs you to press F2, Del (Delete key), F1 or another key (varies depending on the BIOS version on your laptop) to enter BIOS or Setup. You have to catch it quickly, or restart when you get to your Windows login screen.

Look for an Advanced heading, and possibly a subcategory named System Configuration or something similar. Look for Internal Pointing Device or mousepad, or trackpad. Use your arrow keys to navigate the selections. Check keystroke instructions on the BIOS page, and use the key (usually Enter) to select the submenu and select disabled and press Enter, then select the Exit and Save function key.

That should do it, and if you need to enable it at some point, follow the same procedure to do so.
    Oh my. I bet this does it. I'm going to do it very shortly here. TY all for your assistance.

Thanks
    Ericsoln,

I have a Dell and there is an icon in the notifications area {hidden so you have to use the up diamond to see the icon} which allows you right-click to get to the properties where you can indicate that the touch pad should be turned off if an external mouse is detected. If no mouse is detected the touch pad works. Maybe you have something similiar? See attached screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriksoln View Post
    Oh, and for the Doc...........I have a HP ProBook 4525s

I really like the computer, just wish I could get the mouspad OFF. lol
    Excellent! This is easy. Our CEO has one of these and he turned his off accidentally! There is a hidden button on the upper left of the touch pad. Tap that corner twice, quickly. A light should come on in that corner. That is the indicator that the touch pad has been turned off. The mouse buttons will still work. For more info see this article.
    Chuck

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-06-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    Excellent! This is easy. Our CEO has one of these and he turned his off accidentally! There is a hidden button on the upper left of the touch pad. Tap that corner twice, quickly. A light should come on in that corner. That is the indicator that the touch pad has been turned off. The mouse buttons will still work. For more info see this article.

Oh my. You are right. I feel so silly. But, my mousepad is now "OFF" and I can type without my cursor jumping from place to place when my wrist bumps the pad.

It actually was a very complicated process though. See, as I said, I had uninstalled the driver software for the touchpad (thinking this would permanently disable it). So, when I double tapped the left corner of the pad, nothing happened. Soooooo..........I had to get ahold of HP support, reload the mousepad driver software and then it worked again.

Way too much effort to simply turn off a touchpad, but that is my own fault. lol

Thank you everyone so much for you help. I can now type my school reports in comfort.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It took a lot of reading before I twigged to the fact that you were talking about a touchpad. Please call it a touchpad from now on, or you'll drive everyone crazy. These devices, as with all others, have become more and more refined over the years, but I do have two suggestions. The first is easy: whether it can or cannot be turned off may vary by computer, but I expect you will always be able to adjust its sensitivity, which may be all you need for your purposes. The second suggestion is that you learn how to use it properly, if only because you may one day be caught without your external mouse and you just might want it. You might even discover in learning how to use it that it is far faster and more efficient than the external mouse. For my part, I solemnly swear to practice what I preach and learn how to use the silly thing on one of my computers in particular. I swear that what these mice are doing to my right wrist is not pretty, and the proper use of a touchpad may be an ergonomic blessing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-07-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad its resolved Eriksoln! Often its the simplest things that can cause us the most grief.
    Chuck

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Eriksoln (2011-07-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast