4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Print as Standard User

I'm stumped by a Windows Vista print issue.

The computer has a new install of Windows Vista Business 32bit (hard drive was replaced). The install went without a hitch. The additional software installed are Office 2007, Adobe Acrobat, our accounting client program, and Firefox. Nothing out of the ordinary. Adding printers was fine too. I have a few that are installed as part of a login script program (Desktop Authority) and the primary default printer I installed for the user myself depending on where the computer is going to be located in the building. All printers are shared on the network (IP). No local printer connections (LPT1). Some are shared from Windows XP workstations and some from Windows 2003 servers.

First day out the user could not print to the default printer nor to any of the other printers available and setup on the workstation. They are: HP 4200, HP 5550, and HP 9050. All three have Windows Vista compatible PCL drivers. (Another Windows Vista box is able to print to those printers just fine.)

When I go to the user's Printers I am able to print a test page successfully. When I use Word or Outlook to print to one of them I get this error: "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup." When I use Acrobat to print to one of them I get this error: "Unable to start print job. Is the printer available?"

The printers are available. The print spooler is running.

Strangely, I was able to print to one of the copiers which I added as as printer.

The user is in the Standard User group. When I changed them to the local Administrator group (give them local administrator rights), when I log in as the user with those rights they are able to print just fine to the printers that failed when they were just a standard user.

Why am I able to print a test page as a standard user but not print from an application? Why am I able to print to the copier but not to a printer? Why am I able to print as a local administrator but not as a standard user? What do all of these have in common? I'm hoping someone here as seen this or recognizes the behavior. I sure could use some direction on this.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Giving the user full rights to the spool folder didn't make a difference. I'd hoped it would.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    In searching around this technet article, File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista, was said to contain the answer for someone who appeared to be having the same issue as you.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In searching around this technet article, File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista, was said to contain the answer for someone who appeared to be having the same issue as you.

Joe
    I found that yesterday. Nothing on it was helpful. I speaks more to sharing a printer, rather than accessing a shared network printer. Just the same tried everything it suggested. No change.

Last night I also tried adding the IP printer as a local printer (rather than to where it is shared). I also tried changing the printer to the HP Universal print driver. Neither made a difference.
    Daisy