New Lounger
    Thanks

All programs word, I.E, firefox open 3/4 screen and overlaped at bottom

Can not open full screen by normal means, top right corner box or arrow to side of screen.

Thanks
    What version Windows, specs of PC, what monitor. Post a screenshot so we can see it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be over kill I can't access the specs on the computer, but these are specs for Acer aspire one hope they help My kids anti-virus expired a day before I caught it any help is greatly appreciated.

Processor & Chipset - Intel® Atom™ processor N270 (1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 512 KB L2 cache)
    - Mobile Intel® 945GSE Express Chipset (DDR2 400/533 MHz)
    - Mobile Intel® 82801GBM Chipset
    Operating System - Windows XP® Home
    Memory - Single channel with onboard SDRAM and one soDIMM slot
    • DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM memory interface design
    • Onboard SDRAM: 512 MB
    - soDIMM slot: Supports 512 MB/1 GB soDIMMs for total system memory of up to 1.5 GB5
    Storage - NAND flash module or hard disk drive for internal storage7
    - NAND flash module: 8 GB
    - Hard disk drive7: 2.5″ 9.5 mm 120GB
    - Storage expansion: SD™ Card reader
    - Multi-in-1 card reader: Supporting Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Reduced-Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)
    - Supporting storage cards with adapter: miniSD™, microSD™, Memory Stick Duo™, Memory Stick PRO Duo™
    Display - 8.9″ WSVGA high-brightness (typical 180-nit) Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution
    • LED backlight
    • 262,000 colors supported
    Multimedia - High-definition audio support
    - Two built-in stereo speakers
    - MS-Sound compatible
    - Built-in digital microphone
    Communication - Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam, supporting 0.3 megapixel resolution
    - WLAN2: Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology,
    - LAN: 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
    - WWAN8: UMTS/HSPA (High-Speed Packet Access) at 850/1900/2100 MHz and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), upgradeable to 7.2 Mb/s HSDPA and 2 Mb/s HSUPA (for 3G models)
    - Supports receiver diversity and equalizes at 2100 MHz
    - Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology2
    I/O Interfaces - Multi-in-1 card reader
    - SD™ Card reader for storage expansion
    - Three USB 2.0 ports
    - External display (VGA) port
    - Headphone/speaker/line-out jack
    - Microphone-in jack
    - Ethernet (RJ-45) port
    - DC-in jack for AC adapter
    Power supply and Battery - 30 W adapter with power cord
    - 24 W 2200 mAh 3-cell Li-ion battery pack
    - 57 W 2600 mAh 6-cell Li-ion battery pack
    - 3-hour battery life for SKUS with NAND flash module and 3-cell battery pack
    - 7-hour battery life for SKUS with NAND flash module and 6-cell battery pack
    Keyboard & Special Controls - 84-key keyboard with 1.6 mm (minimum) key travel
    - Touchpad pointing device with two buttons
    - 12 function keys, four cursor keys, one Windows® key for Windows® XP Home or one Home key for Linpus™
    - Linux® Lite version, hotkey controls, embedded numeric keypad, international language support
    - Power button with LED
    - Easy-access switches with LED: WLAN, WWAN1
    Weight and Dimensions - 249 (W) x 170 (D) x 29 (H) mm (9.8 x 6.7 x 1.14 inches) for SKUs with NAND flash module and 3-cell battery pack
    - 249 (W) x 195 (D) x 36 (H) mm (9.8 x 6.7 x 1.42 inches) for SKUs with hard disk drive and 6-cell battery pack
    - 995 g (2.19 lbs.) for SKUs with NAND flash module and 3-cell battery pack
    - 1.26 kg (2.78 lbs.) for SKUs with hard disk drive and 6-cell battery pack
    Software
    (Optional) - Linpus™ Linux® Lite version
    • OpenOffice 2.3
    • Aspire one Mail
    • Messenger
    - Windows XP® Home
    • Acer eRecovery Management
    • Acer Launch Manager
    • Adobe® Reader®
    • McAfee® Internet Security Suite
    - Microsoft® Office Trial 2007

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...capturebf.png/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know what I did wrong, but the on screen image has about a third of the screen black and the bottom bar is up about an inch+ and then you can see the same screen(program below)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The screen grab you posted shows the video memory is fine, but your description, if I interpret it correctly, says the screen image is shifted up by a few cm, leaving a black bar at the bottom. That suggests a hardware fault.

However, there may be a video configuration that could cause it - perhaps a corruption after a program install. Check the resolution settings to make sure that it is on a standard setting. If necessary , increase the screen resolution such that you can see the full window on any application including the minimise, maximise and close buttons currently off screen. This will help in the next stage.

Have you installed any software recently, did the issue present itself after the software? It would be worthwhile running a system restore on the machine to verify that there is no change is system setup causing it.

If after a system restore the problem is still present and you consider that this may be a hardware fail, be prepared to have to reset the machine the factory settings using the Acer recovery console. The manufacturer will insist on this to verify the hardware before accepting a warranty return. Take a full current system backup. I don't think the Acer recovery console does that - only a DVD backup of the factory image; so download a free 30-day trial of Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image to burn the current system image (Macrium Reflect has good reviews here too, but I have not used it so can't recommend). This will make sure you have you data protected should it need to go away for repair.

Thanks
    It's easier to post a screenshot as follows:

1) have the Image you want to post on the desktop. Choose Prt Sc button on the keyboard.

2) open Paint and Paste the Prt Sc into it.

3) in paint your can crop, add highlights, add text.

4) save Image to desktop using a descriptive name.

5) Choose Go Advanced in the Lounge reply. Either choose Manage Attachments or click on the paperclip and follow the prompts to upload the image from your desktop to the Lounge, then Post Reply.

This way we can see the screenshot you are trying to post right on the post.

I also believe you may be having a hardware failure, either graphics card or monitor (If I'm reading correctly this is a laptop???). I would grab an updated graphics driver. The specs you show do not list the graphics card type. An app such as SIW (System Information for Windows) should give information on the graphics. I would go to the graphics manufacturer site to get the latest graphics driver. Don't depend on Acer for this. After updating the graphics driver, go into the software for the graphics card and set the resolution and other parameters that are available to be user modified and see if this helps.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-01 at 06:11.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy