Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing the program list

Is there a way to print the program list from Windows Programs and Features?
    Thanks
    chuck

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi chuckrau,

See if this MS Answers link is helpful to you.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Deadeye,

Works nicely! I have one improvement to the instructions provided and that is to paste it into Excel {if you have it} it very nicely places the columns in A-B-C in Excel. Just widen the columns and/or delete ones you don't need.

Oops, not so fast...it only gives you program folders, i.e. Microsoft Office. It doesn't list Word, Excel, PP, etc. The running tasks however has some very useful info you can do the same thing with.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-06-30 at 21:37.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you would like all programs, I think any number of third-party utilities will give it to you in one form or another. One I find particularly convenient is Revo Uninstall, either free or pro, which provides additional information such as the version number, the date installed, and so forth which you may include or exclude from the printable display by the usual means. Just bring up Revo and there it is. There may, however, be omissions if I recall correctly.

Thanks
    Dogberry,

I can't seem to find a print function in the Free version, could you point me to it?

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Dogberry,

I can't seem to find a print function in the Free version, could you point me to it?
    You are quite right, as I have just (re)discovered. I now recall that you have to take screenshots of the the list with the free version (the Snipping Tool is available from Start > Accessories in Win 7 if you don't have another such tool) and you have to select Details view to see all the details that Revo will provide. This is very useful information. With Revo Pro there is a Print selection on the File menu, so there is no need for screen shots there.

Thanks
    Run System Information. Expand Software Environment. Click on Program groups. You can print or copy/paste the results.

Jerry

Thanks
    Download and run System Information for Windows (SIW.exe), There is a free edition, and it provides great detail about almost everything on a Windows PC, including the installed programs. Should print nicely too.

Note: If you run any kind of ad blocking you may have to disable it on the download page to get the free standalone version that does not actually install itself on your PC.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-07-01 at 13:25. Reason: add note

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Download and run System Information for Windows (SIW.exe), There is a free edition, and it provides great detail about almost everything on a Windows PC, including the installed programs. Should print nicely too.
    Deadeye,

Right you are works great, suggest switching printer into landscape mode though.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I absolutely agree, RG. All the fields have to be shortened to view the listing in portrait mode. You can also create an HTML report file with the free edition. I wish the CSV report file was also available in the free edition as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for fun, here is a PowerShell 1-liner that creates a CSV file of the installed apps. Open the out.csv file in Excel and print.

get-wmiobject -class "Win32_Product" -namespace "root\CIMV2" | sort Vendor | select-object Vendor,Name,Version,InstallDate,InstallLocation | export-csv "out.csv"
    Last edited by cafed00d; 2011-07-01 at 18:31.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cafed00d For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2011-07-02)

Thanks
    CafedOOd,

Very nice! I've purchased a couple of books on PowerScript and am working my way through them. This will give me a good example to work my way through. It works great, a little formatting in Excel and you have a very nice list for reference purposes.

Additional Info: After printing the list I checked it against the one I had done by a previous method and also the list in Revo Uninstaller. I don't know why but several programs were not on the list:
    BelArc Advisor
    Aracnophilia
    Brother HL-5270W printer software
    Foxit Reader (although it did list the IFrame addon)
    HyperSnapDX - Screen Capture program.
    Microsoft Money 2006
    FireFox 5.0
    Google Chrome (finds the Google Talk plug-in though)
    PDFCreator
    Picasa 3
    PrimoPDF
    Revo Uninstaller
    RoboForm
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-07-02 at 11:01. Reason: New Information

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks

Question Some interesting findings

This thread got me interested so I did some googling and comparing with some, at least I thought so, results.
    I found an interesting PowerShell script, via google, and modified it slightly then compared it with the results from the original PS script posted here, Windows Programs & Features, and Revo Uninstaller. The attached Excel sheet shows the results. Only Windows Programs & Features (Win P&F) and the expanded script in box below found all 60 items on my computer. both Revo , which seemed to miss 64 bit software but is supposed to be 64bit compatible, and the original script came up short of full results. Interestingly the original script provided multiple lines for some programs, e.g. Windows SDK 7.0, and alternate names for others like Microsoft Malware Client for MSE.

Comments, script modifications, etc. ?

In the worksheet the list of programs (DisplayName Column) is the one provided by the script below and was used to compare to the other providers.
    Code:
    if (!([Diagnostics.Process]::GetCurrentProcess().Path -match '\\syswow64\\'))
    {
      $unistallPath = "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
      $unistallWow6432Path = "\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
      @(
      if (Test-Path "HKLM:$unistallWow6432Path" ) { Get-ChildItem "HKLM:$unistallWow6432Path"}
      if (Test-Path "HKLM:$unistallPath" ) { Get-ChildItem "HKLM:$unistallPath" }
      if (Test-Path "HKCU:$unistallWow6432Path") { Get-ChildItem "HKCU:$unistallWow6432Path"}
      if (Test-Path "HKCU:$unistallPath" ) { Get-ChildItem "HKCU:$unistallPath" }
      ) |
      ForEach-Object { Get-ItemProperty $_.PSPath } |
      Where-Object {
        $_.DisplayName -and !$_.SystemComponent -and !$_.ReleaseType -and !$_.ParentKeyName -and ($_.UninstallString -or $_.NoRemove)
      } |
      Sort-Object DisplayName |
      Select-Object DisplayName,InstallDate,InstallLocation | export-csv "out.csv"
    }
    else
    {
      "You are running 32-bit Powershell on 64-bit system. Please run 64-bit Powershell instead." | Write-Host -ForegroundColor Red
    }
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-07-03 at 15:11. Reason: Added missing link.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cafed00d (2011-07-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Geek,
    I believe Revo Pro is 64-bit-aware, while the free version is not.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I added the ability to specify the output file name, included the version and publisher in the output, and got rid of the first line that contains the type name:

Code:
    param (
      $out = "out.csv"
    )
       Select-Object DisplayName,DisplayVersion,Publisher,InstallDate,InstallLocation | export-csv -notypeinformation $out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast