Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista SP2 install question

Will be installing Vista SP2 (finally)....Have AVG2011 which allows for disabling for only 15 minute increments....Assume SP2 install will take longer than 15 minutes....

When I try the Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools> Services>AVG--- Rt Click----I'm not presented with ability to Stop and Start AVG....The only item not greyed out is 'Properties'----which gives me options of Automatic, Automatic Delayed, Manual, Disabled....

If I do either Manual or Disabled, will that allow me to disable AVG for as long as I want/need....???.......If not------

Is there a way to disable AVG for a period of time totally under my control without totally un-installing and re-installing AVG.....???

Thanx in advance for any/all help....
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I wouldn't try disable AVG via the Services window in Control Panel. You may not be allowed (due to permissions) and even if you are, doing so might break a few things.

I'm a little surprised that AVG does't have a disable until next re-boot option in it's resident shield control. No matter, if it only has 15 minutes increments, I would set it to disable for 2 hours, 1 hour might just be a bit tight depending on your hardware. I assume you can always re-enable it earlier when SP2 install is complete.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

VISTA sp2 Install Question

Thanx so much for your response.....I was surprised to find time limitation too in this 2011 version.....

If I understand AVG's explanation correctly, it's not at 15 min 'increments'....But rather---a total of 15 minutes at a time....With, I assume, the need to 'reset' each and every time.....Here's what AVG 'Help' section says----
    Check the box Temporarily disable AVG protection, and press Apply to deactivate AVG for 10 minutes (default). This should be sufficient for any common task such as installing new software etc. The time can be adjusted in a new dialog window which appears as soon as you confirm the deactivation. Please note that the initial time limit that can possibly be set is 15 minutes, and cannot be overriden by your own value for security reasons.

I checked Resident Shield to see if maybe that offered a way (as you suggested)....Nope--Nothing there.....

Again---thanx for your response and if you think of some other way, please let me know.....
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if Disabling AVG Free temporarily helps.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for the info.......Will test that out......Thanx again.....