New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 random freeze up

How do I determine if I've installed the 64 or 32 bit versions? The About box doesn't tell me. I'm asking because I'm having continual random freeze-ups of IE9. I can't attribute it to any particular activity or sites. I've tried all of the recommended cures regarding disabling add-ons and the problem persists. If I'm running 64 bit then I'd like to uninstall and go to 32 bit. Can you recommend a process for doing this? I simply used Microsoft's automated update to get where I am now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This is a double post, has been answered here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...443#post808443

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brettnewman View Post
    How do I determine if I've installed the 64 or 32 bit versions? The About box doesn't tell me. I'm asking because I'm having continual random freeze-ups of IE9. I can't attribute it to any particular activity or sites. I've tried all of the recommended cures regarding disabling add-ons and the problem persists. If I'm running 64 bit then I'd like to uninstall and go to 32 bit. Can you recommend a process for doing this? I simply used Microsoft's automated update to get where I am now.
    If you are running 64-bit IE the About box would say "64 bit" near the version number.

If you have any toolbars installed make sure you are running the most current version.

Does the browser ever "Unfreeze"?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that link to the 64/32 bit question. Turns out I'm running 32 bit after all since the About box does not indicate 64. I was hoping that a switch to 32 would solve my problem. The browser rarely freezes to a point of a crash or re-start although that has happened... I can live with that occassionally. What's really frustrating is that the browser will simply sit there, with a spinner in the tab indicating activity, for a long time and it seems random. It happens every few minutes as I work with it. When that occurs, I can't do anything at all in the current tab or other open tabs until it stabilizes. The state lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes and most often 30 - 60 seconds. In fact, it happened just now as I was working on this post when I tried to complete my reply. Sometimes I'll get a message box at the bottom of the screen about the web site not responding... but not always (I can't remember the actual wording of the message).

I saw a Susan Bradley article here that mentions problems with IE9 and banking sites. I've seen that myself although this isn't restricted to banking sites. I checked the Advanced setting she referenced... mine was properly set so that eliminates it as a suspect.

I've tried disabling all add-ons except for those from Microsoft since I haven't seen any posts about issues with them. I tried resetting to the original settings. Since neither approach solved the problem I've reinstalled the Google toolbar that I find very useful. It's presence doesn't seem to affect the situation one way or another.

I did just notice that the Yahoo toolbar is installed on my system although it doesn't show up in my Manage Add-ons dialog. I'll uninstall it and if it makes a difference I'll post that here. I don't understand how it can show in my Add/Remove programs box but not in the Add-ons but that's why I missed it.