New Lounger
    Thanks

Planning to upgrade my core 2 duo to Intel i7 facing some external issues

I have a core 2 duo , 3.0ghz processor, like to upgrade to i7 or i3. I asked my friend who is a hardware professional, he suggested me to buy i3 rather than i7 based on the performance, and also he told that these processors only support 64bit software.

The issue is there because i have worked only in 32bit software, all the software i have so far are 32bit operating system, but my job is working with 3ds max, maya, I definitely need an upgrade.

My question, is there a way to convert 32bit software, OS into 64 bit software, or the only way is to buy fresh software which supports 64bit. Second option is spending money again. Please advice, if iam wrong in understand anything please correct it.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All those processors will run any Windows version and if you choose to go with a 64 bit version, most 32 bit software will work without any issues whatsoever. A 64 bit OS version is probably recommended, as it will support more than 4 GB RAM.
    If you are running a 32 bit OS version, to run a 64 bit version, you will have to upgrade, and unless you use something like PC Mover, that means you will have to reinstall your software. For what it matters, your core 2 duo CPU is already a 64 bit CPU, for sure, regardless of the specific model. I find that statement by your friend, the hardware tech, a bit surprising, by the way.

I am not sure if can simply replace the CPU, that is, if your motherboard will support these new generation CPUs. If it does (better check that), probably you can just replace the CPU and all will work fine.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-02 at 12:35.

Thanks
    To change to a 64 Bit OS you would have to have the 64 Bit Windows DVD. Most retail versions I'm aware of came with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit DVD's. If your OS was an original OEM installed OS, then you may have to spend more money to purchase a retail version of the 64 Bit OS. In either case, do a Custom (Clean) install. You will have to reinstall all apps, but this will give you a much more pristine OS. Back up all your data to an external media prior to the change. As Rui states your present CPU is fully capable of 64 Bit operation. Most (perhaps all) of your 32 Bit S/W should work on the new 64 Bit OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The core i series cpus utilize a completely different socket, and chipset than does the core 2 duo, so you can only upgrade the cpu by buying a new motherboard, and you will most likely need new RAM too. See this Wikipedia article "Intel Core" for a history of Intel's cpus.

It would be more cost effective to purchase a new PC, or a bare bones and finish the build yourself.

You might want to consider at least a core i5 rather than an i3. The i3 is more of a general use processor, while certain models of the core i5 approach the performance level of the lower spec core i7's for less money.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-07-02 at 07:37. Reason: added thought
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-07-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe someone mentioned this already, but a 64-bit operating system can run 32-bit applications just fine. I'm running 64-bit Win 7 and most of my apps are 32-bit.

Also, which OS are you talking about? XP? Vista? Win 7? I would be leery of running a 64-bit XP, you might have problems finding hardware drivers. And I would recommend Win 7 over Vista, but both have decent 64-bit driver support. Of course if your current system is running XP and the new system is running Win 7, you might have to upgrade some of your applications (simply because of the OS level change, not because of going from 32-bit to 64-bit).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by technoawareness View Post
    I have a core 2 duo , 3.0ghz processor, like to upgrade to i7 or i3. I asked my friend who is a hardware professional, he suggested me to buy i3 rather than i7 based on the performance, and also he told that these processors only support 64bit software.

The issue is there because i have worked only in 32bit software, all the software i have so far are 32bit operating system, but my job is working with 3ds max, maya, I definitely need an upgrade.

My question, is there a way to convert 32bit software, OS into 64 bit software, or the only way is to buy fresh software which supports 64bit. Second option is spending money again. Please advice, if iam wrong in understand anything please correct it.

Thanks in advance.
    I've been more than pleased with 64 bit computing and it will be well worth upgrading some of your core work related software, especially graphics related, to 64 bit.
    Many 32 bit programs should work just fine, but for your workhorse software it's well worth an upgrade to 64 bit. You can also research your other 32 bit applications for compatibility.
    A decent P76 board will give you the performance you need whether it's i5 or i7. Give yourself at least 6 GB of memory running at least 1333.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    To change to a 64 Bit OS you would have to have the 64 Bit Windows DVD. Most retail versions I'm aware of came with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit DVD's. If your OS was an original OEM installed OS, then you may have to spend more money to purchase a retail version of the 64 Bit OS. In either case, do a Custom (Clean) install. You will have to reinstall all apps, but this will give you a much more pristine OS. Back up all your data to an external media prior to the change. As Rui states your present CPU is fully capable of 64 Bit operation. Most (perhaps all) of your 32 Bit S/W should work on the new 64 Bit OS.
    I'm ready to purchase the retail version of Windows OS, but what about the software, i think i need to buy all of the software to a 64bit version... Then it becomes very expensive for me

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AS everyone has already said, you do NOT have to buy 64 bit software. All of your current 32 bit programs will run just fine under 64 bit Win7. I have 64 bit Win7 on 12 machines, EVERY software program we are running is a 32 bit program!! DO the upgrade to 64 bit windows, you won't be sorry and your programs willl run just fine. They will be installed in a directory called "Program Files (x86). Any 64 bit programs you may come across later will be installed in a directory called "Program Files (x64).
    Don't hesitate, you'll be glad you did it!
    Joel

Thanks
    The only software that you can be sure won't run on 64-bit Windows is software written for 16-bit. For that you will need XP mode, which means that in Windows 7 you will need either Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise in order to run virtual XP.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows