4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

7 Wipes with Eraser Disk Cleaner

Hi,

I just wanted to know if 7 disk wipes of the disk free space using Eraser Disk Cleaner is sufficient to make all data that was on the free space unrecoverable? Thank you and a Happy 4th of July.

Moon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Unless you have the instructions for an Atomic Bomb or the codes to open Fort Know, and someone knows it, I think it will be sufficient!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post

I just wanted to know if 7 disk wipes of the disk free space using Eraser Disk Cleaner is sufficient to make all data that was on the free space unrecoverable? Thank you and a Happy 4th of July.
    Moon,
    Hello...If your really concerned.. you can use a "CCleaner" option called "Drive Wiper" CCleaner From the drop Down you can select whatever "level of wiping" that you wish... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RetiredGeek and Fred. Have a wonderful 4th of July.

Moon

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just Plain Fred,

I ran CCleaner Disk Disk Wipe. I set it for 7 wipes. The program started off by saying that the 7 wipes would take about 11 hours. However, after running about 1 hour, it shut off. It did this two times. I cannot figure what the problem is. Do you have any suggestions? Or is this program just running faster with Windows 7 Ultimate on a 64-bit machine?

Thank you.

Moon

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Just Plain Fred,

I ran CCleaner Disk Disk Wipe. I set it for 7 wipes. The program started off by saying that the 7 wipes would take about 11 hours. However, after running about 1 hour, it shut off. It did this two times. I cannot figure what the problem is. Do you have any suggestions? Or is this program just running faster with Windows 7 Ultimate on a 64-bit machine?

Moon,
    Hello....As i do not have a disk to "wipe" i can not do a test to check your findings... You might try some of the less "stringent" options and see if it behaves in the same manner ..(Shuts off when finished ) if it does, then i would say that it's probably as you say "Finishes Faster" than originally stated (11 hours ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Moon,
    Are you erasing government secrets or secret family receipies. I believe 7 wipes is what the government does to delete top secret stuff. I feel comfortable in saying most individuals would never need this level of wiping. If I'm not mistaken when a wipe is done 1's and 0's are alternately written to all designated free space on your HD. Remember that when you delete something, it is still there and just the marker that allows Windows to find that something is altered. This area is considered free space even though there is still data there. When a wipe app places 1's and 0's over this data, it effectively eliminates the data. After a couple of wipes it would take some very sophisticated software to recover anything. If my understanding of this is in error I stand corrected. Some good info on wiping by PC WORLD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. No,I was just ignorant of a wipe does. Thank you for the PC World article. Have a good one....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The PCworld article is seriously out of date. Modern IDE/SATA drive data cannot effectively be recovered after one wipe with random data. The recovery process was only ever theoretical on RLL disks with low data densities.
    Wikipedia is your friend.

cheers, Paul