Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to migrate to Outlook 2010

Well, it looks like Microsoft has done it again ...

When I installed Office 2007 and converted my old pst files to the new format Outlook 2007 forgot all the personal settings and rules I had created. I spent several hours trying to get it to look the way it was.

It appears that Microsoft has created an even clumsier migration scenario when migrating from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010. I have a dual-boot Win 7 configuration so my daily Outlook files are still intact, thank goodness.

I have used Outlook for years on my home computer. I like it a lot. I use it for my personal calendar and all my email from gmail.

I installed the 32-bit version of Office 2010, I think. I found how to determine whether I installed the 32-bit version at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee681792.aspx. Surely there is an easier way?

I copied my 2 Outlook 2007 pst (one is an archive file) files from my production Win 7 image to the test image then started Outlook 2010 and used a procedure I found by using the File tab to make Outlook 2010 use the Outlook 2007 file. I re-started Outlook 2010. In the folders on the left in Outlook 2010 the mail folders displayed are underneath a folder named with my gmail email address. Another set of folders are under the name of the Outlook 2007 pst file. The calendar is not in the place I had it and the preview pane for email is not where I had it.

Is there any simple, step-by-step way to migrate my Outlook 2007 pst files and all my personal configuration to Outlook 2010 while keeping all my personal settings?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried an in-place upgrade? I mean having your Outlook 2007 setup and running and then just upgrade to Outlook 2010?
    It's been a year now, and I am not totally sure but I think i did just that and think Outlook picked all the settings from 2007 and it was quite effortless.

The first reply by the Microsoft Answers moderator seems to suggest the same: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5-d8d68b1e53a3. He advises uninstalling 2007 and installing 2010.

Again, I can't be sure about this from 2007 to 2010, but I think that was the case. When upgrading from 2010 Beta to 2010 RTM, I am sure the settings were used.

In any case, whenever you add an account to 2010, you can make it use an existing pst file. All my pst files are the same as they were when I was using 2007. I don't really like the default 2010 model, which is to create one file per account. However, even when that happens, you can change the account properties to use a pst of your choice and you can even move any messages that may be in the "abandoned" pst file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. The upgrade in place seems to work fairly well. Now to get aquainted with the new interface ...

After I upgraded I still see Office 2007 listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features. Although hard disk space is cheap these days I hate to have clutter lying around. What can I do about this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I upgraded from 2007 in two computers and Office 2007 stopped showing up in my installed programs lists. Do you have entried for Office 2007 in your programs list?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The odd thing is that both Office 2010 and Office 2007 show up in the installed programs list, but links to the various Office apps in the start menu show only Office 2010. It seems sloppy to have both. Can I safely uninstall Office 2007 without mangling Office 2010?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I doubt that you actually have Office 2007 still installed. There may be stuff that the 2010 installation did not remove fully, but surely it's not a full 2007 install. You can have a look inside your Programs->Microsoft Office folder. Likely you will have folders for Office 12 and Office 14, but the amount of stuff for 12 will be considerably less.
    You can probably backup (create an image if you can) and try the uninstall for 2007. It should not affect 2010, but I probably wouldn't try it if I could not create a backup image of what you have (working) now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try the uninstall of 2007 tomorrow. It's definitely still there because Windows Update downloads updates for it. There is lots of stuff in the Office 12 folder.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SamStamport View Post
    I'll try the uninstall of 2007 tomorrow. It's definitely still there because Windows Update downloads updates for it. There is lots of stuff in the Office 12 folder.
    My impression is that the reason you get updates is the same reason it shows in Control Panel. I am offered some updates for Office 2003, even though 2003 has long been gone from my desktop.
    I checked my computers for the contents in the Office 12 folder. Laptop has less, even if not totally clean, desktop has more, but no executables. I do not have uninstall options for 2007 stuff, though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. I uninstalled Office 2007. Now, to figure out how to combine the multiple pst files so the navigation pane looks like it did for Outlook 2007.

Administrator
    Thanks
    OK. I uninstalled Office 2007. Now, to figure out how to combine the multiple pst files so the navigation pane looks like it did for Outlook 2007.
    Not sure how you had it. I use a single pst for live stuff and have multiple archive pst files, tipically one per year. Using something like Xobni allows me fast searching through all the files (though you need the paid version to have the archive files indexed too).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Outlook 2007 I have only two pst files. One for the the POP accounts I use which includes the calendar, tasks, etc. and one for archive. Outlook 2010 seems to create a separate pst file for each POP account. I want it simplified and combined into one pst file, thus a simplified navigation structure for all my email accounts.

Send/Receive also seems to be much more complicated than it needs to be in Outlook 2010. Everytime I start Outlook 2010 it does a send/received. I want it to behave like Outlook 2007 where send/receive occurs only when I click send/receive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you setup a new account, which I do always by choosing to manually configure the server settings, you have the option to choose an existing pst file.

About the send/receive, check the options for Send / Receive groups, in the Send / Receive tab. Maybe if you don't check the schedule an automatic send / receive option you will get what you want. I have Outlook to send / receive every few minutes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. After fussing with Outlook 2010 the last two days I'm about ready to give up. I'll try one more time. I'm going to uninstall Office 2010 and do a system restore to get back where I started. I'll then follow your tips.

This is way too much trouble than it's worth. I'm just about ready to give up on Outlook altogether. Can you suggest a free alternative to Outlook that has similar functionality?

Administrator
    Thanks
    OK. After fussing with Outlook 2010 the last two days I'm about ready to give up. I'll try one more time. I'm going to uninstall Office 2010 and do a system restore to get back where I started. I'll then follow your tips.

This is way too much trouble than it's worth. I'm just about ready to give up on Outlook altogether. Can you suggest a free alternative to Outlook that has similar functionality?
    Wow, what happened? Everything seemed to be going well?!

You can also change existing accounts to point to an existing pst file, and copy whatever was inside the original pst file into this file.

If you were used to Outlook 2007, I believe 2010 is better and the ribbon interface actually fits Outlook better than any other Office app. Feel free to post about any issues, we are here to help.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-05 at 16:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also did same and after that my problem got solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I upgraded from 2007 in two computers and Office 2007 stopped showing up in my installed programs lists. Do you have entried for Office 2007 in your High School Diploma Online programs list?
    Last edited by andrew15; 2011-07-07 at 05:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast