Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble defragging large disk

I've used MyDefrag (previously JKDefrag) for a long time now but I recently started having an issue using it to defrag my 2TB drive. After analyzing for a while it'll tell me that there's too many items of the disk and there isn't enough memory (I've 4GB RAM on x86 Windows 7 laptop). I've also tried the built in defragger via the command line (because it's a lot more efficient that way) and it seems to have run through but with further analysis it seems my drive is still quite fragmented. Is there any way to give a program more memory or something so I can defrag and optimize the way I always have?
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Thanks
    If the drive is heavily fragmented try several more passes with the Windows 7 default tool.
    Run MyDefrag again after you have tried the above, but try booting the laptop first.

I'm familiar with JKDefrag, but I've stoped using it a while back in favor of Vopt.

Thanks
    Try Auslogics Disk defragmenter. Works great for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post
    I've used MyDefrag (previously JKDefrag) for a long time now but I recently started having an issue using it to defrag my 2TB drive.
    grnorris,
    Hello... I use Raxco PerfectDisk 11 Raxco and now they have a new version, 12 which i have not tried ... 11 works ... might have a look at their product. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-03 at 18:19.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi grnorris, use 'chkdsk' first then follow Ted's post.

Attachment 28459
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like a waste of good electricity to me. The thing will be fragmented in another month and you will waste more time attempting to make it look tidy....
    /grumpiness off

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Paul: Most of the data on my drive won't change for a while and it's so heavily fragmented that I can see a visible difference in performance. There's also the fact that since I mostly read data on the disk and not write to it I will ultimately save my disk and even electricity as less seek operations will be necessary. @RodeRunner: I doubt my disk is damaged at all but I will still check it to be on the safe side. The problem is simply that I have way to many files on it (backup files, videos, books, installers, ect.) I will also check out Auslogics and if that doesn't work I'll check out Raxco (though I'm not big on the idea of paying money to defrag my disk).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Try the latest version!

Hi, I think thats the latest version MyDefrag 4.3.1. can take care of your problem. Filled with
    several options of scripts

/Oscarius38

I've used MyDefrag (previously JKDefrag) for a long time now but I recently started having an issue using it to defrag my 2TB drive. After analyzing for a while it'll tell me that there's too many items of the disk and there isn't enough memory (I've 4GB RAM on x86 Windows 7 laptop). I've also tried the built in defragger via the command line (because it's a lot more efficient that way) and it seems to have run through but with further analysis it seems my drive is still quite fragmented. Is there any way to give a program more memory or something so I can defrag and optimize the way I always have?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow How much defragmenting is enough?

One of your problems could arise if you're not measuring fragmentation with the same program that did the defragmenting. As I've reported in the forum thread on Woody's article on the topic of "software you don't need," defragmentation is in the eye of the beholder, and there is no single functional defintion used by all utility developers for what that means. For example, Win7 Disk Defragmenter tells me right now that my C:, D:, E:, W:, and Y: drives are 0%, 1%, 0%, 0%, and 0% fragmented, respectively (after defragmenting yesterday). Defraggler (from Piriform, makers of CCleaner) reports the same drives as 42%, 10% 6%, 6%, and 0% fragmented.

There's a bigger question, though: Do you really need to "defrag and optimize the way I always have"?

In the old days (perhaps more than 5 years ago, and certainly more than 10), when small hard disk sizes meant that disk space was precious (and costly to expand) and disk access speeds were glacial (by today's standards), disk defrag & optimization utilities were in their heyday--shoot, I even remember users talking about defragging and optimizing floppy disks back in the '80s! Current disk capacities and access speeds have done away with most (not all, but most) of the gains that those programs brought, however. I'm not saying that defragging isn't worth it, just that it's not worth spending the kind of time on (let alone any money on) that it used to (and "optimization" is probably even less important, if it has any real-world significance at all).

Yes, I know that some forum members are already pulling out their benchmarking numbers to show how much better their disk access times are after using their favorite defrag tool, but can they demonstrate that they're really getting their work done any faster than they would by just letting Win7 take care of it? In fact, are they even breaking even, compared to the time they put in chasing down the best tool and proving that it's the best? As I said, there has to be real-world significance for this topic to mean any more than just bragging rights. (Oh, and if you're not polishing your processor and heat sink surfaces before applying the thermal paste and overclocking to the max, are you really doing all that you can to get the most out of your system?) Oh, well, at least your browser will run faster, right? Right?

Yeah, I know that if feels like letting Win7 simply run Disk Defragmenter in the background and ignoring any further thought on the matter feels like cheating (particularly if you've got a tool that you've been loyal to for many years), but ask yourself if some microscopic performance gain is really worth the time and energy you're putting into the pursuit of better, when what you have for free is already more than good enough. My drives were all defragmented yesterday, and I never noticed that it was happening or had happened (not until I just went and looked, that is)--it just worked.

If you just have to know what's going on, though, here's an enlightening online tutorial that explains what Win7's Disk Defragmenter utility is doing: http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/fil...mentation.html

Scroll down to the section titled "Defragmentation Algorithm Improvements."

There's also a helpful command line switch explanation for defrag.exe later on the same page.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Disk Defragmentation – Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements is an interesting read about the decisions made during Windows 7 development.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2011-07-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First off I tried Auslogics and it did work though it seems to have left a little fragmentation I suspect that's because it was trying to optimize. @Oskarius: I'm already using the newest version and it's still not able to handle my disk. @bethel95: I've had this discussion before (most times on these forums) and the answer is simply that I don't have a lot of money (I bought my large disk with Christmas money and almost all of my programs I got for free) but I have noticed that on my large and often times extremely full EHDD's if I don't defrag and optimize they get annoyingly slow (as in it's not microscopic, it's quite macroscopic). As I mentioned in an earlier post I use my EHDD for Backups (not just my devices but also other computers), Large Installers (so I can install them on other computers without having to find a disk and because I download quite a few of my installers from MSDNAA [student partnership so I paid once and continue to get stuff] and never bother burning them in the first place and because I like to have a backup in case the original disk gets destroyed), Videos and pictures. As for spending money on a disk defrag software I'd have to be quite desperate, no offense to anyone who thinks it's necessary but I believe there's almost always a better freeware solution (and most will agree with me). That's why the only software I pay for on my computer is the proprietary stuff like Office 2007 Student (and I know about OpenOffice but it fails to follow the format of most of my docs and I end up having to redo half of my editing when I move it to another computer that uses Office so yes, buying Office was necessary for me).

Thanks
    I evaluate tons of software in a years time, including an occasional Defrag program. I tried one called the "Defraggler" and it totally trashed my hard drive. It wouldn't even boot.
    I had to do a Ghost restore of a backup image of my C: drive to get my computer to boot again.

Then I tried Auslogic's defrag and it made a total mess of my HD, with data scattered from one end of the drive to another. That's not what I call a Defrag. Again, a Ghost backup came to my rescue.

Making a Ghost backup and then doing an immediate Restore is how I do my own defragmentation. It's the same tack we used to take when defragmenting the big Mainframe drives.

On my XP PC, after doing a backup and restore, my drive looks like this:

The blue area is of course my data, while the green is the Pagefile.
    I delete the pagefile and all the junk files before I do my backups, and once Windows reboots,
    it makes a new pagefile at the end of the data area.

Now if you have a defrag program that will make your own drive look like that, let me know. I'd like to see it.
    In the mean time, I'll continue to do it MY WAY, like I've done for years.

Cheers Mates,
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-07-10 at 19:48.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've rarely heard of a defragger damaging a drive and every time i have heard of such a thing it was because the persons drive was damaged, usually physically though occasionally just a screwed up MBR. That's probably why RodeRunner suggested to do a chkdsk first so I made sure not to screw anything up.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The downside of the Dr's strategy is every change from here on in fragments files across the page file, resulting in relatively large head movements for small accesses. A good defragger should leave some space for Windows to work with.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Well, I could, of course, put the Pagefile on a separate partition, but then again that works the snot out of the drives' head positioner.
    Or let everything go to RAM and just forget the pagefile. (that wasn't MS's first choice and it's not mine)
    Well I do my backup and restore every week, at least, and I've seen only very good speed and efficiency from my computer.
    As I save new files, they always go into free space and don't get fragmented, instead of having to load into little free sectors scattered among fragments of other files. That creates massive fragmentation.

Often, I find a Hard drive in a customer's PC, that is so horribly fragmented and so laced with junk files that the only sensible way to recover the drive is to do a massive cleanup and then a backup, re-format and restore to bring it to some sense of order.
    That's much faster than the hours a Defrag would take. And, that computer will then run so much faster.
    By the way, my PC is about five years old and still runs faster than most of the new computers coming out of the stores today.

I've been working these forums for as long as there has been Forums and it makes no difference what I say about anything, someone will find fault with it, or make fun of it. That's just a given. But I still have an extremely FAST computer and I've not seen a BSOD, or had a virus, in years.

Do let me know if you can match that defrag of mine. Eh?
    Show screen shots!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-07-11 at 19:29.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast