Thread: RAM Problem

Thanks

Question RAM Problem

I have Win 7 HP 64 running on an ASRock 890FX Deluxe 3. It refuses (all kinds of BSODs) to operate on >4 GB of RAM. I have tried each stick singlely, in pairs, and in every position of the four slots. The RAM sticks are good and are no trouble for the dual-boot Win XP Pro 32 on the other partition, which only sees <4 GB.

Last Autumn, I experienced problems with the MOBO and RMA'd it to ASRock America for repair. They returned it after checking it out, and they said that they found no problems. I struggled with reinstalling Win 7 and gave up. I clean-installed XP Pro, after reformatting the HDD, and wiped the external backup HDD. After operating the computer for some time, I decided to reinstall Win 7. All the latest 64-bit drivers and apps were installed. However, after 15 to 30 minutes of using 8 GB of RAM, the BSODs appeared with a vengence. After much time of determining that all the sticks were good, I removed one stick and was able to operate for a short time before the BSODs reappeared. Dropping to two sticks of RAM temporarily solved the problem. Adding another stick always causes a BSOD.

Since 64-bit OSes are suppose to use >4 GB of RAM, where does the problem lie??? Is the MOBO at fault, or is it with Win 7??? I have the last BIOS version from ASRock, and the BIOS is set at its default settings, no OC. Can anyone out there help???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 7 x64 works perfectly with more than 4 GB RAM. I would say you do have some hardware or driver issue. It would help to know what caused the BSODs, so you may try installing BlueScreenView and see what info you can obtain from using it. It may provide info on what is causing the BSODs. You may need to configure your system to generate a small memory dump on system failure.

Thanks
    Windows Startup Repair would sometimes refer to a hardware problem, but was never specific. Removing the RAM has solved the problem. So, it obviously pertains to the number of sticks in use at any one time. Again, is this a fault of Win 7, or is the problem on the MOBO (North Bridge, South Bridge,etc.)???

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Maxing out 4x slots and getting problems appears to be a fairly common fault, judging by user comments on sites like newegg. It seems to be most likely with non-validated RAM, which may work at reduced speeds, but it looks like there are a few boards which might never work with max. RAM. Check your RAM against the certified RAM at ASRock.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

hammondmike (2011-07-04)

Thanks
    Thanks satrow,

I have G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBECO ram, while ASRock lists F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO as compatible (lousy small point font--should have put on my reading glasses!). I bought these along with all the components for a upgrade rebuild of HAL and had too many things going on in my mind at the time. They list a -4GBPK, but I wanted an ECO version and so I missed the change from a 9 to an 8.

Is it possible to change the CAS latency to 8 in the BIOS?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    Is it possible to change the CAS latency to 8 in the BIOS?
    Changing RAM settings in the BIOS looks like the most common method of 'forcing' compatibility, so yes but it all depends on the settings you have in your BIOS - some are much better than others. Oh, just because you change a setting like those for RAM in the BIOS doesn't always mean that you get the exact change you expected, watch and test it carefully.