Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Eudora 7 on an old machine running Windows XP..
    I'm about to get one using Windows 7.
    As it happens, just this morning I saw an announcement about Eudora OSE. The URL is wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE.
    What I am wondering is whether I can import all my saved e-mails for future reference.
    On f the things I like about Eudora 7 is that all the attachments get put into a separate sub-folder, so that it's easy to look through them without having to read the covering message. I am wondering if that will remian the case with Eudora )SE.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Eudora works on windows 7

I don't see the problem. I use Eudora 7.1 on Windows 7 64bit without problems on a single user machine. On a two user machine there is a problem if both users want Eudora to be their default client. I find that the first user has no problem and there is a solution for the two user system, see below. After an update the solution may have to be applied again. My apologies to the original authors of the these hints. I found them on the web but have lost the links to the original authors.
    ----
    Windows 7 and Vista don't allow programs to store data files in the location that Eudora 7 wants to use.

If the installer asks you to Choose Data Folder , select C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora .

If the installer doesn't ask you to choose, change the folder before running Eudora for the first time:

1. Right-click the desktop Eudora shortcut.
    2. Click Properties .
    3. Set the Start in: folder to "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Eudora "

If you have Windows 7 set up for two users and both want to use Eudora, you will encounter a problem with one of the users.

When starting Eudora for the first time on Windows 7, you may receive the following error after attempting to set Eudora as the default mail program:

"Eudora was unable to update the system registry. Your default mail program has not been changed".

To resolve this, make sure that Eudora is set to check if it is the default mail program (Tools -> Options -> Extra Warnings -> "Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer" should be checked).

Then, quit Eudora and start it again by right-clicking on the shortcut for Eudora and selecting "Run as Administrator". When you choose to set Eudora as the default, you should no longer receive the error.

You may need to perform the "Run as Administrator" action twice. From then on, start Eudora as you normally would. However the problem may reoccur after a Windows Update. In that case perform this procedure again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I commiserate with you. I also tried Thunderbird and hated it for the same reasons. I just have the single user installation of Eudora on Win7 64 and have no problems. I was wondering, would the issues you had have anything to do with the networking quirks when setting up a home group using Win7 and XP machines?

If only someone would come up with an improved Eudora (retaining its simple nuts and bolts framework) I'd buy it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just catching uo on this thread. Did anyone fine a close replacement for Eudora in the last year?
    I have been using Eudora 7.1 since release, started with 5.0
    The four pieces that I NEED in a mail client are: 1: Multiple Personalities or account that 2: can be funneled into ONE inbox with 3: Rules that allow inbox messages to be transferred to organized mailboxes and (most important) 4: The ability to have multiple windows (mailboxes) open. All of which Eudora does.
    Outlook allows for the first two, Thunderbird screws up multiple accounts into multiple inboxes - and nothing i have seen supports multiple windowing
    >.
    Anyone out there found a program that will do this?

Now for the why - Eudora 7.1 on Win7 64 bit has the following 'issues'
    1 It will radomly go 'unresponsive' - cannot be returned from minimized and has to be killed and restarted
    2 Will occasionally stutter while collecting mail - will be unresponsive for 10 - 15 minutes and then return
    3 Occasionally will NOT send mail from one (seems random) of my personalities (multiple accounts with multiple incoming and sending POP servers) - requires a shutdown and restart to fix
    - I have tried setting compatibility to every version of Windows allowed to no avail.
    So I guess I am asking for either an idea on how to keep using Eudora without the above issues or how to find a mail client that satisfies my needs

any ideas?

thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming you've installed it OK, as attached, I think it could be an ISP/connection sort of problem. Wrong port, maybe?

Eudora Install.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billabong For This Useful Post:

RAHill (2014-03-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As the o/p.... I migrated to Thunderbird. It's tolerable. There is simply no solution to #1 or #2 for Eudora. I believe that this is simply a case of a creaky database... after it reaches a certain size, you're screwed.

I -occasionally- have glitches with T-Bird... most notable:
    a) It won't 'send' the first time

b) every so often the search stops working... there is a procedure one follows to force the db to re-index but the first few times it happened I was panicked.

At some point of course, one will have to suck it up, get assimilated and move to GMail. But until that day we muddle through.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to suntower For This Useful Post:

RAHill (2014-03-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I had checked with my ISP (verizon) a year ago and they are not blocking/translating ports. They tried a few changes to see if it was their setup but over an hour we were able to repro issue #3 even when ports 25 and 110 were opened for me for that hour. My hosting company has many people using Eudora who do not have my issues (They are die hard XP users) and we went over the problems a year ago, after my Verizon check, and they too could not find a setting that fixed problem 3..

Now my database is quite large - all my folders add up to over 18+G of storage so you may be right - I may just have to prune and delete a lot to fix problems 1 & 2

But from the lack of suggestion, I do not see any 'windowing' email clients being presented so I guess there aren't any .. which really annoys me - I mean I can see that there aren't a lot of people who want a windowed client, evidently, but not One ? -- very sad when I see variation disappearing

But thanks for the advice bilabong and suntower, - if anyone happens to hear of a mail client for Windows or Linux (I run both) that supports multiple Personalities or accounts, can funnel incoming mail into ONE inbox with rules that allow inbox messages to be transferred to organized mailboxes and supports multiple windows (mailboxes) opened - please post it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a solution to your problem, but if you've been using Eudora "forever" and you're using Win 7, then maybe you'd be able to help me? I am using Win 7 32, and have been using Eudora since e-mail began, and there really is NO substitute, none. But I wanted to back up some mail boxes the other day and I cannot find them! No honestly. They were always in Eudora\Data\, but they're not there. I can still access the e-mails within Eudora, but when I did a search for *.mbx nothing was found, not a single .mbx anywhere.

This has me baffled. Any suggestions???

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rhino...they're in the folder in step #3 of my attachment in posting above.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, but I have no mention of Eudora except for the Program Files\Eudora folder. There is no mention of it in Users at all. Besides I don't understand why a search for *.mbx finds nothing. And a search for .toc finds files associated with TomTom GPS, none for Eudora. Checking the Properties of the Eudora shortcut on the Desktop shows "Start in C:\Program Files\Eudora\, no mention of AppData. It's weird, but they've got to be somewhere because I can read e-mails back to 2000.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In my installation, in the C:\Program Files\Eudora\ folder there is a file called deudora.ini. In this file the line starting with DataFolder= points to the location of the data folder, which contains all the mailbox and other data files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Arne, I found that file, and it shows: DataFolder=c:\Program Files\Eudora\Data\. Which is where the mailboxes have always been located (in XP and previous versions of Windows). And the mystery deepens. In the Data folder there are: In.mbx, In.toc, and Out.mbx, Out.toc, but they are all zero bytes. But in Eudora both In & Out have messages in them. And if I search for .mbx & .toc files Windows Explorer doesn't find them, not even if I start the search in the Eudora folder. They've got to be somewhere, but where???

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rhino...."Windows 7 and Vista don't allow programs to store data files in the location that Eudora 7 wants to [store them]". You need to do an uninstall/reinstall with data stored at ...AppData/Roaming/Eudora.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Billabong. You know I just tacked this question on to this thread because I assumed that it was a simple matter. That someone smarter than me would say "Look in. . ." and all would be revealed. It hasn't turned out that way. My AppData\Roaming\ folder has no Eudora sub-folder, no Qualcom sub-folder. Eudora isn't mentioned in any folder under Users\...

You say "uninstall/re-install", that's do-able, but how do I salvage the existing messages that are stored in some mystery folder chosen by the All-High Win7 Who Must Be Obeyed? IF I could locate the assorted .mbx files I could copy them to a USB disk and replace them after the re-installation, but where oh where have my little .mbxs gone? And why do they need to be hidden at all? What's that all about? If the contents need to be protected, from the NSA for instance, then the text can be encrypted, there's no need to hide the folder.

I chose where I wanted to store the data so that I would know where to find it. I don't use Libraries either for a very good reason, as long as everything is working properly documents in Libraries are immediately accessible, but when things go belly up then you may be out of luck, and documents. And I don't think it would be any exaggeration to say that things have been known to go belly up from time to time with Windows of any vintage.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting...have you searched entire PC, not just Eudora folder? They might be in Program Files or Hidden Files.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast