Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have searched the entire PC, all partitions, end to end. The even curiouser thing is that in C:\Program Files\Eudora\Data there is an In.mbx & Out.mbx & Out.toc. These are all 0 byte files, and a search by Explorer for "*.mbx" or "*.toc" does not find them, not even if I start the search in Eudora\Data\. I have "Show hidden and system files" selected, although why these files should be hidden or system I cannot imagine.

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Billabong, I happened upon a discussion in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, someone else looking for these missing mailboxes and I thought you may be interested in one of the responses:

"... What Win7 enforces (and WinXP tried to enforce) is that /program files/ directories are READ ONLY locations for executable programs; only an admin account (and even that asks for permission) is allowed to make changes to the directories used for executable code, and that is when running an installer.

"Any attempt by a running application to change files in /program files/ (in Win7) results in a redirection to a ghost directory created for the user.

"The purpose for blocking out /program files/ -- to ensure that some application doesn't inadvertently store a virus or otherwise malevolent into the location where the next invocation of the program starts the virus instead. "

Unfortunately although this explains WHY Win 7 won't allow the user to save data in Program Files\Eudora\Data it doesn't explain where these "ghost directories" are located, or how to access them.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    David...it's all very perplexing..I'd hoped you'd have at least found them in the hidden files. I was going to suggest Google, but you seem to have gone that route. Did you notice (if Google "Eudora Forums"), there are still some experts out there who seem to accept questions. But the original site (eudorabb) seems gone.

If you have access to another PC, you could install Eudora correctly, and email the messages you want to save to that machine....and then transfer/copy the .mbxs back to the original machine (now having a proper install). Or maybe you could do a second install on your regular PC (but changing the name to EudoraX) and send "emails to yourself". Messy either way.

I'll mull this a bit more..........

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Billabong, a couple of possibilities spring to mind.

The 'ghost directories' referred to are probably the ones in c:\Users\'username'\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. In that folder you will probably find folders called Program Files and ProgramData. In Program Files you will hopefully find a Eudora (or Qualcomm\Eudora) folder with your data.

The question then would be why your search doesn't find these files. Perhaps try another search program? I use the one in xplorer2 pro, but there are also others such as FileSearchEX that may be worth trying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123