Thread: Update Tuesdays

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Tuesdays

Once, when I had two computers with identical MS components, I could download a package of updates that would apply to both. Maybe Microsoft got pushy and maybe I got sloppy (and lazy, for posting the question, but there may be more customers for the answer besides me), but updating identical packages for multiple computers one computer at a time is wasteful.

Does anyone have a neat system for collecting bundles of updates that a user can apply to multiple computers? Microsoft may have one themselves, but if they do it has slipped off my radar. A bundle for 32-bit Win 7, ditto for 64-bit, and a similar pair of bundles for Office? They don’t have to be comprehensive, as I can still run Windows Update on any computer to add missed updates.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will be of any help but you can download a DVD image of the updates released on each Patch Tuesday.

kb913086 gives details for Windows, I'm not sure if there is something similar for Office..

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I sort of saw that one coming, and it makes it look like Windows Update is the (only?) route to take when you have a small number of similar computers such as I do. That is at enterprise level or something of the sort, and it is certainly intended for system administrators.
    I guess it was the recent SP-1 for Office 2010 that got me going, as well as reflections on the number of users for whom bandwidth is expensive or simply not available (which in turn was the reason I was grousing in a different thread about the lack of updates to Help files). Mind you, most patches are for security issues which users who aren't connected don't have to worry about.

Administrator
    Thanks
    How many computers do you need to manage this way?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    How many computers do you need to manage this way?

Joe
    A maximum of six (Win 7), but only several are used to any degree online.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have an instance of Windows Server check out Windows Server Update Services. It is not nearly as intimidating as it might seem. It is a pretty straightforward application to install and get running.

You can check out this app -WSUS Offline Update. I've not not installed or even read much about this so I can't comment either positively or negatively about it.

Joe