New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 and 2010: Auto-Increment Date in Table Cell after each print

I have a word document. In it I have a single row / two column table. First column is the word "Date:", second column is whatever date I put in it.

Sometimes I need to print a month, 6-months, etc., of this document and I need to increment the date (daily...including weekends and holidays).

So if I print enough for July 2011...I need 31 copies each dated for every day of the month and so on.

Is this possible in word? I can do it in excel with a simple vba spell, but don't use Word enough to be familiar with it's capabilities.

I don't want anyone to hold my hand through this. Some pointers and references on the web I can check out???

If I don't try and fail, I'll never learn.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Quick Access Toolbar is at the top left of the screen display, and I’m not sure if it’s even technically part of the ribbon. You may not have one yet, although I think there is one by default. Click on the symbol on the right end of the quick access toolbar. Click ‘More Commands’ > ‘All Commands’ > ‘Date Picker Control’ > ‘Add’. Adjust the right column to put it in the desired position on the toolbar. You might like ‘Insert Date And Time’ while you’re there, although that is conveniently accessed from the ribbon itself (under ‘Insert’).

Click the icon, click the arrow beside the box that says ‘Click here to enter a date’, and you have today (the default) or any day of the month any month of the year etc. just following the arrows. If you want to ‘fix’ the date, right-click on the date that is displayed and then click ‘Remove Content Control’.

I’m not even sure that is what you are looking for, in fact I don't think it is, but it’s worth the price of admission just to find out about it, and you may be able to work it into your solution. There are plenty of other gems in the ‘All Commands’ list, as you might guess from the length of it, and with a bit of exploring you may make some discoveries.

There are plenty of templates online that might help, from calendars to possibly exactly what you want. Go to File > New for templates, and there will be links to online templates.

Thanks
    One thought would be mail merge. As you point out, it's trivial to populate a column in Excel with dates. You could merge a Word document using that data source to generate a page for every row. (It's also possible to merge directly to the printer, but for ecological reasons, it's better to test with a merge to a new document.)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi spiderman,

Perhaps you could use something based on the attached. Whereas the attached document uses a textbox, you could easily adapt the code to use a table cell (or you just position the textbox over the cell ...).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved

@jscher2000: I tried the mail merge and it worked. A little unorthodox, but it does what I needed. Thank You!

@macropod: I will give your suggestion a try. I'm always curious to know another way to solve a problem! Thanks!