New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Drive recognized but no letter assigned

I have a Win 7 x64 system and recently purchased an external USB 3.0 HD. Upon connecting to an Asus M4A87TD EVO MB, Windows Explorer created "CD Drive K:". It did not name the device. When I click on this new drive, I get "Insert CD". Not the software that is on the HD. The drive is recognized in Device Manager and in System Info. When I go into Disk Management and try to add the letter K or any other letter, an error comes up saying to refresh Disk Management or reboot. Upon doing both, the same error comes up and the external drive remains unavailable.
    I took my machine to a local tech shop and they said they have never seen this situation before. I would like to solve this without re-installing Windows. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Did you try to eject the drive and reinsert it. For some reason Windows is interpreting this as a CD drive. Did any software or drivers come with the USB HD? Have you searched the Ext HD manufacturer's web site for any answers? Was everything working as expected with your setup before the Ext HD was plugged in? You might go into device manager (after unplugging all usb devices) and uninstalling all USB controllers and allow Windows to reinstall them as you plug devices in.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cannot eject the drive. "An error occurred ejecting the drive" message comes up. No software came with the drive. It is supposed to auto run when the drive is plugged in.
    I spoke with their techs and they said the drive was faulty. It works just fine on another machine. I'll try uninstalling all USB devices and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleted all the USB controllers, and plugged everything back in one at a time. No luck. Still the same problem. Windows is treating it like a cd drive and will not open up the drive.
    Does not look goo right now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you sure you have USB 3.0 ports?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you sure you have USB 3.0 ports?

Joe
    The specs for the mobo say so.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are 2 USB 3.0 ports. The specs are listed under "USB". The HD also works on 2.0 and I've tried it on another machine with no problems.
    Funny thing though. When I boot into safe mode the CD Drive K:\ drive does not show up, only in full mode.
    Does anyone know where in the registry that setting might be? It is not under HKLM/System "MountedDevices". Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since you've reinstalled all the USB controllers, I'd guess that the .inf file (I think that is USBSTOR.INF) used to identify the HD is incorrect or the device is presenting the incorrect ID. If the disk vendor says the drive is faulty won't they replace it? Is the other machine a Windows 7 PC also?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The other machines and I tried 2 are a Win 7 x64 and a Win 7 x32. The HD works perfectly on those machines, so this leads me to believe that this issue is a software problem within my machine. A very unusual and frustrating problem. If I rename the USBSTOR.INF file, will Windows build a new one or will I experience more problems?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think it would be rebuilt. You could copy it from another machine. There may be other .inf files that are involved. If you have the C:\windows folder indexed you could try to search the device ID of the HD on a couple of the PCs to see if there is a difference between the information on a "good" PC and the "bad" PC.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

chrispy (2011-07-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help but this looks more and more like a reinstall. I've searched everywhere for a similar problem but cannot find an answer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are resigned to a reinstall anyway try copying the .inf file from another Windows 7 PC. At this point it can't hurt.

Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

chrispy (2011-07-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I will try it in a day or so.