3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does Win7 filter/delay outgoing web requests

I know that title sounds strange - maybe stupid. But ... I'm having a weird problem with my Win7 machine. With TweetDeck and/or Firefox 5 if I click on a link shortened by bit.ly or if I go directly to the bit.ly webpage it takes 90 seconds (timed) for the page to open. However any other page, and shortened URLs by other service open quickly and normally.

To make it stranger ... if I run TweetDeck and or Firefox 5 (same editions of both programs on both computers) on an XP machine all bit.ly shortened links connect through in "normal" time. No delays.

I have disabled all except very basic add ons to FireFox ... no help.

I have written to bit.ly tech support ... they're trying to "duplicate" the problem there. So far no answers.

Any ideas?

Al

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try it by IP address which is 168.143.172.53 . If this works better add it to your hosts file.
    Last edited by butchcoats; 2011-07-07 at 10:05.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butchcoats View Post
    Try it by IP address which is 168.143.172.53 . If this works better add it to your hosts file.
    Okay. Thanks. That works. But when I try to modify the hosts file it refuses saying to contact my administrator. I am the administrator. I have administrator account. Hmmm.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Beginning with Vista and carrying forward to Windows 7 even though your account is a member of the administrator group it does not have the same privileges as the builtin Administrator account. This is a change from XP.

Try starting the program you are using to edit the hosts file with "Run as adminstrator".

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. That works. Thanks. Still doesn't explain why this happened on this machine in the first place ... but I guess there are a lot of mysteries like that hidden here and there.

Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I guess the original problem could be a DNS resolution issue. You could try flushing the DNS cache. Use an elevated command promt and enter "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotation marks).

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The IP # is in the hosts file, and for the moment that is working. I'll keep your suggestion for reference in case I see other problems. Thanks again for your help.

Al