Lounger
    Thanks

HP8500A 910 e-all-in-one printer no longer recognized by wireless network

Hi:

I am having a most annoying problem when trying to connect wirelessly to my HP8500A 910 e-all-in-one printer. I am running Windows7 Home Premium and have been religiously updating as required.
    I had this printer set up wirelessly on my home network (Linksys E2000 router) and was able to print to it from my iPod etc. It lost connectivity a couple times in the past but after doing a software uninstall and re-install, I was able to re-connect. This time however, I have uninstalled and attempted to re-install numerous times. I have changed the PIN number as required after getting it off the printer's control panel.
    The printer says it is connected to the network when I press the wireless button on the printer control panel and it feeds me back the address and signal strength etc. however, when I progress with the installation, it cannot find the printer. When I check under "Devices and Printers" it's not there. I ran the "Wireless Network Test Report" from the printer's control panel and everything checks out as it should.
    The only thing I can think of is that possibly it has something to do with either a ".NET" patch or possibly a "Windows 7 Compatibility patch" that may have been on the 23 of June updates. Really confused. Has anyone else noticed any similar problems? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gus:
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you moved any other wireless devices near the printer?

Have you moved the printer so other wireless devices might be interfering?

Have you moved the router so other devices might be interfering?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel in the router configuration?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

No., I haven't moved anything to cause interference and the E2000 router is on automatic config and has previously been working fine. I have a laptop and an iPod along with another desktop that can all access the network without any hitches. It just seems to be the HP8500A 910A that is being impacted.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does the printer show in your router's DHCP client list? Does any of your devices see the printer?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

Cannot see anything relating to the printer IP address under the Setup. I'm using an E2000 by the way. I'm currently running under Auto Config. When I go to DHCP Reservation Button there is only one client filled in and that's my particular computer's name plus Lan, Plus Ip Address, plus Mac Address.

I tried to enter printer name IP address but it kicks it out as I don't know the MAC address nor how I might find it.

This could well be the problem area if I can just pick your brain a bit longer to find the solution I sure would be one happy fellow.

Thanks again.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Somewhere in the printer configuration panels you should be able to see the MAC address. Are you sure you are connecting to the proper network? Does your have a unique name so you can recognize it?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    According to the E2000 manual, you should be able to see the printer listed in the DHCP clients list and reserve a fixed IP address for it. I think Joe may be guessing right and the printer may not be connected to your network, or you would be able to see it in the clients list.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

Yes the name is Blue Pine. I checked in the router and it is also listed as blue pine. Well, here's the newest. I took the HP8500A 910 back to the place of purchase. Even though it was past the date of them taking returns they made me a very good deal on the HP6500 Plus with basically all the same features as the HP8500A so I brought that home and tried it. Same deal.

I have gone into the router and entered the name HP6500 Plus with an ip of 193.168.1.1XX and a MAC address of 98:4b:e1:81:81:XX and then saved the changes, left the router and re-booted system. I then tried to install the printer again. Still no dice. When setting up using the printer control panel, I go to network/wireless/wireless setup wizard and follow the onscreen instructions. It says it has connected successfully to the network (which I specified as Blue Pine). I have gone to the wireless/Wi-Fi Protected Setup and done that also with success. I'm at a loss as to why the printer and router and computer are not talking to each other.
    Do you have any further ideas? Thanks
    Gus P

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirrib:

Thanks for your input also. If you read the above reply to Joe, you'll see where I'm at now albeit no further ahead, it seems.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Gus,

Have you tried the troubleshooter at HP support? They seem to have a network diagnostic utility and a manual procedure to troubleshoot networking issues. Maybe it can help?

I followed the Windows 7 option and the link to download the network utility is offered there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the utility there for the 8500A and it was mostly for troubleshooting a wired (ethernet) network although there were some advanced tools. I may have to give it another go for this 6500 plus now. Thanks again. Still hoping Joe has something up his sleeve because I'm really getting frustrated.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems to me that we need to somehow delimit the cause for this issue. You don't have, by any change, an ethernet cable to connect the printer to the router, to remove the wireless connection as a factor, do you?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ruirib & Joe:

I'm happy to report, problem solved. I started digging into the Asus P5Q mobo and of course it is not wireless capable without using a seperate wi-fi card.

Solution: Plug in USB cable and install printer to computer that way. Unplug USB cable when completed and then go to HP menu on computer and select "Printer Set-up and Software" sub menu. Run this app and when presented, select "Convert from USB to Wireless" Installation. Follow onscreen prompts and voila...wirelessly installed and ready to go.
    I would like to thank both of you folks for the efforts you put forth on this matter. I have written the sequence all down so that in future, I won't have to suffer this agony again.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, glad you sorted it .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Nice detective work. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting your success.

Joe