New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I install an application for just one user?

I have three separate user accounts on Windows 7 Premium - two administrator accounts for my wife and me, and one standard account for my son. Most applications, like Quickbooks, install on all the accounts, and this is annoying when only one of us is using them. For example, I have Parental Controls on my son's account, and every time he logs in, he has to click through a series of messages informing him that he needs administrator permission to run various Quickbooks services. I also have games and other programs that I don't want him to see, but when I delete their icons from his desktop, they disappear from mine as well.

Is there a way to install software so that it only appears in one user's account? Or, is there a place where you can specify which software runs at startup for each individual account? I've tried msconfig, but it seems to affect all three accounts.

The way Windows 7 handles the desktop and start menu is completely confusing; under previous versions, you could go in and edit individual user accounts through Windows Explorer, but with Windows 7, there appear to be multiple locations where user settings are held.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often an install routine will ask if this installation if "just for me" or "for all users". If it does not the software vendor needs to make that circumstance available when you install the program.

See the attached document prepared by one of our users for a rough equivalent of various common folders between XP & Windows 7. You can still do the editing you just need to know where to look.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

amcpherson (2011-07-07)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Generally, the only difference in installation procedures for all users verses logged user is where the Start Menu icon is placed. If it is just for the logged user it will be placed in their Start menu if it is for all users it will be placed in the All Users Start menu. You can simply move the shortcut from the All Users Start menu into your Start menu and things will be OK.

That said however, programs like Quickbooks like to "Call Home" and place all kinds of stuff in the Registry keys HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run . You may be able to control this by setting preferences within the program about how it starts up or you can edit the registry as most of this stuff doesn't need to start when ever you boot. You'll have to experiment with various programs to determine what you can and can not remove from these keys. ALWAYS BACKUP a registry key BEFORE you change or delete values.

Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

amcpherson (2011-07-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info - this is helpful. I wish that Windows had some kind of utility that would allow you to control centrally which services run on which accounts, without having to dig into the Registry, but it is at least good to know that I didn't miss something. I will see how far I get with the user directories and program options before monkeying around with the Registry.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also adjust the permissions of the .exe file of the program.