Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading From Windows XP to Windows 7

According to this article:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...6100/list.true
    someone who has Windows XP installed should be able to purchase the Upgrade Version of Windows 7. (Of course, all other software would have to be re-installed.)

Clicking on the link "Upgrading From Windows XP to Windows 7 (Custom Installation)" actually takes me to an article that deals with "Upgrading From Windows Vista to Windows 7 (Custom Installation)".

I called Microsoft's Personal Support team (at 800-936-5700) and they told me that if I want to switch from Windows XP (SP3) to Windows 7, I would need to purchase the Full Retail Version of Windows 7.

So: Can I, or can I not, purchase the Upgrade Version of Windows 7 if I currently have a legit copy Windows XP (SP3) installed? (PS: I am fully aware that when switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 requires re-installation of all the other software!)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's actually not true. License wise you are entitled to do that and the Windows 7 upgrade version will actually install without even an OS present in pc where you will install 7 (even if a Windows Secrets documented trick is required).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just as your PS explains moving from XP to 7 is not an upgrade because it doesn't keep the installed programs. But http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...p-to-windows-7 shows you how to perform a clean install of 7 on a PC with XP on it.

Thanks
    So: Can I, or can I not, purchase the Upgrade Version of Windows 7 if I currently have a legit copy Windows XP (SP3) installed? (PS: I am fully aware that when switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 requires re-installation of all the other software!)
    Yes, you can purchase the "upgrade" version of Windows, 7 irregardless of whatever os you had previously, and do the clean install. There should be no problems with
    activation. Yes you are good to go.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    According to the definition of upgrade per MS (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684)-

• Upgrade

Definition: An upgrade is a software package that replaces an installed version of a product with a newer version of the same product. The upgrade process typically leaves existing customer data and preferences intact while replacing the existing software with the newer version.

you cannot upgrade from XP to 7 because nothing from XP remains. Thus it is considered a clean install.

And yes you can purchase the upgrade version and install it using the work around but there again it is a clean install.

Thanks
    As a side note, when you do the clean install (custom install) a folder is created in your root directory (C Drive) called windows.old which contains the oldd OS (In your case XP) you can open this folder and grab some data to make the transition easier (Favorites, pics, music , etc) Just be sure to drag this data to the proper location in Win 7, it will be different than XP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if the instructions in this article are still valid?
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/create-a-windows-xp-and-7-dual-boot-system-staged-for-an-easy-migration/1728
    (The reason I am asking is because the article dates back to 2009...)
    It sure would be nice to create a dual-boot setup (Windows XP / Windows 7) to make sure that everything works fine!

Thanks
    It appears these instructions will work to create a dual boot system. Just remember that once you finally convince yourself that Win 7 is the way to go, you will have to format the XP partition, use a partitioning app to recover the space and fix your MBR. --- or ---

Install Win 7 directly over the XP partition, perform your clean install, then open the windows.old folder mentioned above and grab all the stuff from XP and place it in the proper folders of Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    Does anyone know if the instructions in this article are still valid?
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/create-a-windows-xp-and-7-dual-boot-system-staged-for-an-easy-migration/1728
    (The reason I am asking is because the article dates back to 2009...)
    It sure would be nice to create a dual-boot setup (Windows XP / Windows 7) to make sure that everything works fine!
    The article is still valid. You should have no problems dual booting. I did something similar when I first purchased Windows 7.
    Good luck and enjoy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The article is still valid. You should have no problems dual booting. I did something similar when I first purchased Windows 7.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Did you purchase the Full Retail version or the Upgrade version of Windows 7? I am getting conflicting statements on the Internet. Some state that only the Full Retail version of Windows 7 will allow to set up dual-booting with Windows XP. Others seem to imply that this can also be done with the Upgrade version.

Windows XP is alredy installed on my desktop. What I am planning to do is creating a new partition (E:\) for Windows 7, leave Windows XP on its own partition (C:\), thus creating a dual-boot system.

I already have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade Version) on its way to me, but I am starting to have doubts that this dual-booting thing will work with the upgrade version...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    Did you purchase the Full Retail version or the Upgrade version of Windows 7? I am getting conflicting statements on the Internet. Some state that only the Full Retail version of Windows 7 will allow to set up dual-booting with Windows XP. Others seem to imply that this can also be done with the Upgrade version.

Windows XP is alredy installed on my desktop. What I am planning to do is creating a new partition (E:\) for Windows 7, leave Windows XP on its own partition (C:\), thus creating a dual-boot system.

I already have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade Version) on its way to me, but I am starting to have doubts that this dual-booting thing will work with the upgrade version...
    It will definitely work. I used upgrade media to dual boot initially from Vista to Win 7, then used the upgrade media to install Win 7 directly over the existing partition on 5 different PC's, 1 desktop 32 Bit, 3 laptop 64 Bit, and 1 laptop 32 Bit. 1 of the laptop 64 Bit now has Ultimate, all others have Home Premium. All were upgraded with the Upgrade media, none were upgraded with the Full Install media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted