New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing backups

I have been a long time reader of Windows Secrets, but not so long a Lounge user. I have had JV16 Power Tools on my computer for a long time and have used it regularly to clean the register. I recently installed an app called Search Everything that reveals every file on my computer (it's really a great help in finding files I saved but couldn't remember where). I discovered a gazillion JV 16 PT backups. They are pretty small but why do I need to save them? I assumed (incorrectly) that every new backup replaced an older one, but not so. There are probably many other files listed there that could safely be removed. Comments?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I would say you could safely remove all but the last 2 or 3. Obviously your machine has been running fine so the older backups of what the cleaner removed are unnecessary. I'd only save a couple just in case something does pop up and you have to backup, that is restore those files. If any of those 2 or 3 most recent are more than a month old they can probably go also as long as things are working properly.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If you are familiar with and are satisfied with the current condition of your computer and the newest backups are greater than a month old, you can safely remove them all.
    I never allow CCleaner or JV Power tools to create registry backups, probably not a good idea, but that's me.
    I use those apps very sparingly and I have never had a need to restore entries that these apps would otherwise have created backups for.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lbrough View Post
    I recently installed an app called Search Everything that reveals every file on my computer (it's really a great help in finding files I saved but couldn't remember where). I discovered a gazillion JV 16 PT backups.
    lbrough,
    Hello... I also use "Everything"(great program) and jv-16...( I'm a big fan of keeping things "registry wise" tidy. Just did a "clean" and found 400 some odd orphaned entries after doing some updating ) If when running jv-16 at their initial screen you will see a selection called "backups" You can click on it and view all that have been made. You have the choice when doing a "reg clean" whether or not to create one. I like to keep the last three or four ...just in case something unforeseen happens. It does no harm and as you have stated they (backups) are quite small (Kb's). Save the past few, this way you can always restore them in the need arises. Of much more importance, is that you do a full system "Image" on a regular basis. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-08 at 05:26.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    400 bad registry entries is less than a drop in the proverbial bucket and is only worth doing if you have nothing better to do.
    Imaging your machine is much better value and should be done every couple of months, along with daily backups up to about 6 months old. After that you have probably forgotten you had the data in the first place.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    400 bad registry entries is less than a drop in the proverbial bucket and is only worth doing if you have nothing better to do.
    Paul,
    Hello... Yes we have hashed this out many times before...and i agree that 400 registry entries are no big deal...probably< a usec of computer time... My point (again) is that if i can get 400 just from a day of "updating and cleanup", how many "orphaned registry entries " would there be after a few years of not removing them ? probably tens of thousands... OK still no big deal, but in my world they are..."Kinda" like people who are "Ankle Biters" they don't do much harm ... but still are annoying. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    And who knows if these orphaned entries may do harm in the future. I don't care if they are not hurting things now, I don't care if I get any increase in speed, I do not like "left overs" left behind by poor uninstallers. I do use CCleaner on a regular basis, several times a week, which takes a combined total of maybe 1 minute per week, and have NEVER (is this emphasised enough) had a problem deleting everything it has found on 2 different PC's. My wife uses it even more than I do. Perhaps I'm paranoid, perhaps I have OCD, who knows, but I use it religiously. Perhaps I don't have problems because I DO use it religiously.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have never cleaned this PC up and it's been going strong for 5 years now. I will admit to having defragged it once. ;-))

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I guess what we are saying is this is one of those personal preference items and you do whatever makes you feel comfortable, just like the security apps we use are a personal preference. That's why they call these things Personal Computers. You use and do whatever makes you comfortable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy