Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting updates for software I'm not using

If you are not running windows office is it correct to assume you do not need to download updates for windows office or is something else involved?
    Thank you,
    phil perez.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It depends. Which updates?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So that means some have to do directly with office and some do not is that correct how do you decipher the difference or do you just let automatic updates take care of it? Thank you for the info and your reply.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I mean what KB numbers?

I normally just let automatic updates inform me of available updates. I review the list and almost always just install what it recommends. If you do not have Office you should not be offered Office updates.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates

Quote Originally Posted by joep517 View Post
    i mean what kb numbers?

I normally just let automatic updates inform me of available updates. I review the list and almost always just install what it recommends. If you do not have office you should not be offered office updates.

Joe
    joe thanks for your response actually you have kind of answered my question i have just started to turn off automatic up dates so as not to be downloading ones for office so i am just starting to monitor them as you are doing so i can pick and choose and since i am not running office was the reason for the question. I am running secunia psi and it had me download 2 of 4 that were offered so the 2 downloaded were kb 972581 and kb 2539530. If you have more info i would appreciate hearing it.
    Thanks,
    phil

Thanks
    Did you have a trial version of Office 2007 at some time when you first acquired the PC. I'm wondering if some of this is still in place. If you don't have Office installed you should not be offered these 2 updates. If Office is installed, whether you use it or not, you will be offered the Office updates. I'm not positive, but you might be offered security updates to Office even with a trial version. (You say you don't run Office, but not that it is not installed)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates

Ted you hit the nail on the head. I did try a trial of office at one time that i did not continue with but i have recently done a reinstall and thought that would be past history. How long of a hangover would there be from that do you or anyone else have any idea? Thank you very much for your reply and your very informative info.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It depends on the media used to reinstall. If you used an OEM restore CD/DVD, those generally return the PC to the condition it was when it left the factory including any preinstalled software.

Did you uninstall Office when the trial was discontinued?

One of the fixes, kb 972581, is for the Office compatability pack which would require a separate uninstall.

The other fix, kb 2539530, is for an Office component that is shared among many Office applications. If you are sure that all Office software is removed from the PC you could delete the folder containing riched20.dll. If you are nervous about deleting the folder just rename the dll file for a while to see if something bad happens. Then, you decide when you are comfortable removing the software.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe i did uninstall the trial and when i reinstalled i used the upgrade cd does it just take a period of time for things to realize i am no longer running offic and if so roughly how long? Thanks for all the advice much appreciated.
    Phil.

Thanks
    There is no time frame. As Joe stated since you seem to have used your original DVD to reinstall Win 7, You probably have the trial version reinstalled as well. I would use an app such as Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the trial version if you don't intend to use it. Revo tends to find leftover stuff that the normal uninstaller leaves behind.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The office trial was downloaded from the microsoft center after the first install how could it be on the cd for the 2nd install the trial was removed with revo before the 2nd install and the trial does not appear on revo or control panel now. What would you estimate the time frame for microsoft to catch up to the fact that i am not running office? Thanks for your help and advice.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Did your Windows CD/DVD come from the PC manufacturer? If so many manufacturers DO include a trial version of Office along with Windows. I suspect this may have happened in your case. If this is the case when you restored your PC to factory defaults using the supplied CD/DVD then you also reinstalled the Office trial. As stated there is NO time frame in which MS will stop sending you info about Office updates. This info will only stop when you uninstall any remnants of the trial version of Office. Once you uninstall Office, Windows Updates will not offer you updates for Office products.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The trial did not come with the cd the trial was downloaded after installation of windows 7 and the trial was uninstalled before the reinstallation of windows 7 and they are still sending me updates for office

Thanks
    Don't know why then. There must still be some component of office on your system. I haven't a clue why. When you reinstalled Win 7 it should have overwritten all that was there, in effect formating the hard drive I would think. Is there by any chance you have a windows.old folder on your C Drive? When you install Win 7 over a previous OS it should create this folder. If so, this folder contains the entire old OS. Perhaps WU is seeing this as an Office install. Since you have reinstalled eveything, you can effectively delete this folder (it will take a while, it is rather large) Other than that I'm out of guesses.

You can hide those updates. Right click on the unwanted update and choose hide. You won't see them again unless you unhide them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted i am sure you must be right it must be an old underlying file. What kind of damage am i doing to my system by downloading those updates untill i can get someone more knowledgeable than me to get the old file extracted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast