New Lounger
    Thanks

Several issues that suddenly appeared

I have several things going on right now and would appreciate any help/advice that any of you have.
    Started with Firefox 5.0 opening my normal tabs and then opening additional tabs with a very strange page name. (Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/Wמ߬WvYH]9vհp%0C Q2) Uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox with no help. Uninstalled again and got rid of all personal settings, add-ons etc. Didn't seem to help. Then the next time I tried, the tabs weren't popping up anymore. Now they are again.

Can only do a couple of things while on the computer, such as opening email and opening up/using Firefox. After a little while, I get continual "Not Responding" on pages and anything else I try to open, even things like a word document, will not open.

Trying to "shut down" or "restart" will take a very long time for the desktop icons to go away, then eventually the wallpaper will be gone and I am left with a black screen with my cursor on it. But I can do NOTHING there except move the cursor around. In order to reboot, I have to press and hold the power button to force a shutdown. Of course when I restart, I get the message that my computer shutdown abnormally the last time. But this is the only way I can shut down and/or restart. I have also pulled the battery and let it sit overnight without it, but that didn't seem to help.

I have NOT clicked on any links, web pages, etc. I was using the computer in my truck and when I brought it inside, all this started happening. (I have used it in my truck for a LONG time, nothing new here) I am typically pretty computer savvy and do know the things to do and not do. I think that's one reason why this problem is frustrating me so much.

I have installed and run Malwarebytes which found a few things; my Trend Micro antivirus found and deleted 2 trojans and a cycbot. I also have installed and run superantispyware , all of these things done at the recommendation of others when trying to fix the Firefox issues.

Does anyone have any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One additional thing I tried to fix the problems....I did a system restore back to 6-26-11 - before the problems started. (The issues started on 7-5-11) The restore did not help either. I only have one other restore point before that, which I will try now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try a tool such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to check and manage what is starting when you boot the PC.

What happens with IE?

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

islandgirl62 (2011-07-08)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl62 View Post

Does anyone have any ideas?
    islandgirl,
    Hello... A few questions ...
    1. Do you have a recent system "Image"? (not restore point)

2. Do you have your Installation disk?

3. Did you make a Repair Disk?

4. Have you tried to "revert" back to FireFox 4.0 or earlier?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try a tool such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to check and manage what is starting when you boot the PC.

What happens with IE?

Joe
    I will give those links a try. I do not use IE, but when I did to reinstall Firefox, I got that same tab popping up with the weird stuff on it. I didn't notice it until I went back to close out IE after the reinstall. Have thought about trying Chrome, but am thinking the issue is in the pc itself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    islandgirl,
    Hello... A few questions ...
    1. Do you have a recent system "Image"? (not restore point)

2. Do you have your Installation disk?

3. Did you make a Repair Disk?

4. Have you tried to "revert" back to FireFox 4.0 or earlier?
    Regards Fred
    I have not tried reverting to Firefox 4.0 yet. I've been using 5.0 for several months now, and this is the first time a problem came up so hadn't even thought about an earlier version. I do have the restore disks made when I got the computer. I'm not sure what you mean by an "Image". I was going to try the only other earlier restore point this morning, but I don't see it on the list anymore.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You really need to clean the file system first because everything you're listing is indicative of some kind of infection to a certain degree. I would run Cleanup (run non-demo mode) or Ccleaner and run them. You may need to do this in safe mode after installing them to rid everything. Speaking of safe mode, have you tried entering it with networking mode to see if it functions the same?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to butchcoats For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butchcoats View Post
    You really need to clean the file system first because everything you're listing is indicative of some kind of infection to a certain degree. I would run Cleanup (run non-demo mode) or Ccleaner and run them. You may need to do this in safe mode after installing them to rid everything. Speaking of safe mode, have you tried entering it with networking mode to see if it functions the same?
    I did run TweakNow but will also run the CCleaner, which I already have installed on this computer. I did try a straight up Safe Mode and the weird tabs still appeared, but I have not tried Safe Mode with networking. I'll give that a try too.

I know that you all understand how frustrated I am with this, especially since I know better than to click on things that could potentially be a problem. It seems to be that it is some sort of a latent problem, that sat there waiting to cause me problems, thus the reason the restore did not take care of the issue. I shall persevere....with all of you helping me!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran the CCleaner and now I am getting that rogue tab, except it is generating itself 3 times now every time I do anything while in Firefox. I am going to attempt to attach a screen print of the rogue tab. firefox error.JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The more I try to "fix" the more goes wrong! Firefox is now creating upwards of 16 tabs with that rogue message I put in the screen print.

One other comment regarding the start of all my issues. Typically I could click a link and it would open automatically in a new tab. About 2 weeks or so ago, clicking a link would take me to a new tab but would not open the link. It would just show as New Tab. I would have to click to get the page to actually open.
    Don't know if this additional information is of any help. I'm just racking my brain to remember what all has happened and when.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl62 View Post
    I have not tried reverting to Firefox 4.0 yet. I've been using 5.0 for several months now, and this is the first time a problem came up so hadn't even thought about an earlier version. I do have the restore disks made when I got the computer. I'm not sure what you mean by an "Image". I was going to try the only other earlier restore point this morning, but I don't see it on the list anymore.
    islandgirl,
    Hello...you can try to revert to FireFox 4.0.1 FireFox download It's an easy try..Just download and run the installer...
    By Image ...I'm not talking about restore points ... An Image is made by running Windows "Backup and Restore" or a 3rd party imaging software... Takes a complete "Snapshot" of your entire OS ,and saves it in case you need to restore to the date that you made the image ...due to some problem. Try the easy "Fixes" first. Regards Fred

PS: I have also had some "buggyness"(not loading web pages just getting a blank page) with FireFox 5... and am reverting back also... Think FireFox has at least 5 or 6 Version 5.0 Betas... maybe they haven't got it quite right yet.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-08 at 15:38.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    It appears to me as though you have a serious infection. This is acting very like a virus. Have you tried to scan using various AV and AM apps. There is a very good chance you may be looking at a reinstall to get rid of the nasty. Sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before you burn the castle I would run Adaware Spybot and then Hijackthis. With Hijackthis visit this site and read about it before you do anything http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial42.html and you can post the log for others to look at here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html. You may be able to glean something wrong yourself from the scan but make sure you have an image, as mentioned before by Fred.
    Last edited by butchcoats; 2011-07-09 at 01:31.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combofix

As a last resort, when MalwareBytes does not find an apparent infection (which is rare), I use Combofix. Please do some research on use before trying. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.