Thread: Loss of sound

New Lounger
    Thanks

Loss of sound

For ages I have been plagued wuth a sound problem which dates back to when initially puchasing my cuurrent desktop At that time Windows XP was installed but when subsequently following installing Windows 7 this did not resolve the problem.
    Initially I wass unable to get any audio response which in this instance shouud have been provided by the motherboard there being no dedicated sound card installed All the inducations in Device Manager and Control Panel /Sound Devices wer that the default High Defintion Audio Device was working properly - nevertheless no sound.
    Subsequently I installed a dedicated sound card which worked well for a short while but then suddenly the sound was lost for no apparent reason and was no attributable to the card having become unseated..
    Next I purchasd a USB sound device which also worked, again for a while. but then no responce. This also despite the fact that Device Manager did not reveal any problem. Futhermore access to Control Pane/Manging Audio Devices revealed no errors but indicated that the device wasworking properly I tried updating the driver only to be informed that the one installed was the current driver.
    Subsquently after much trial and error I have found when sound is lost a remedy lies in uninstalling the device entirely and rebooting whereupon Windows identities that a new hardware item is installed and then loads the appropriate drivers. This appears to solve the problem , at least temporarily for 2-3 days, when again sound is lost and I have to embark on the same workaround in order to restore matters The foregoing suggets that there is nothing wrong with the hardwae but there is a driver problem despite Windows indicating to the comtary.
    Clearly resorting to this should not be necessary and I would appreciate any advice regarding the root cause and more especially effcting a lasting solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Does the issue survive a re-boot?

Does this occur after sleep or hibernation?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe.
    The issue does survive a reboot and as previously indicated it requires deletion of the driver files and then re-installation of the hardware with the attendant driver files to restore sound and then only temporarily. The condition or issue does not follow either sleep or hibernation

Thanks
    You said this issue followed 2 different OS's (XP and Win 7) and at least 3 different sound devices (onboard, Sound card and USB sound device) I would think it has to be a motherboard problem. Can't be a cabling issue. Have you tried reflashing your Bios. See what MB you have, go to manufacturer site for MB, and follow directions for Bios flash. Go to PC manufacturer site and check all MB S/W updates and install (chipset, controllers, etc.) and see if this helps. I would also install an app to check PS voltages and temps in PC (HW Monitor is such an app discussed a lot) Please list manufacturer of PC and MB if you can. (SIW can give a ton of valuable info that might help)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Many thanks for your various suggestions. I have installed the HW Monitor and all voltages and temperatures seem to be within permitted limits.
    Concerning upgrading the Bios here I am rather more apprehensive. I say this for two reasons. First currently I have sound and there is no assurance that this remedy will effect a permanent solution. I am however aware that any mistake on my part in undertaking this could result in an inoperable PC hence this would be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is true that botching a BIOS update can brick your PC but the whole process is much more reliable than in the past. You should at least check the description of the BIOS update to see if it mentions anything that resembles your problem. Remember, BIOS updates are cumulative to if there has been more than one you'll need to check the description of all updates since your version.

Joe