Thanks

Trouble with Outlook rules

I have been having problems with my rules in Outlook '07. It started with some e-mails going to the right folder, then also going to a different folder, specifically the Microsoft folder. I reset the rule for this particular account and it still does it.
    Now it seems that just about 90% of my e-mails end up wherever the little gremlin decides to put them. This mess to the best of my recolection started after I upgrade to a Blackberry Smart Phone (Bold 9650). My previous phone I did not set up for e-mail. I ran Malware yesterday and it came back clean. I am at wits end here, and am just about ready to delete all my rules and start over, but I really don't want to go to that extreme.

Thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quit synching with your phone for a while and see if that clears it up.

Joe

Thanks
    Which method do you use for your Blackberry email: BIS (Blackberry Internet Service, from the mail server to RIM's servers) or desktop redirector?

Thanks
    Joe,
    I see what you are saying and have thought about doing that. My problem with that however is that that will also disrupt my calendar. Oh wait a minute..... I do have an msn account I can leave in tact that will handle the calendar and by making it the primary account that would work.

jscher:
    I am using the Blackberry Desktop Software, latest version.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Update:
    jscher: the accounts were all set up on the phone itself

While reading through BB's forum I had an e-mail come in to my Outlook. The e-mail went directly to the correct folder as it shoud. What is odd, is that the e-mail came into Outlook before it showed up on the phone. In fact it hasn't shown up on the phone, and I know that because it was recieved on my desktop it won't show up on my phone either.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    The e-mail went directly to the correct folder as it shoud. What is odd, is that the e-mail came into Outlook before it showed up on the phone. In fact it hasn't shown up on the phone, and I know that because it was recieved on my desktop it won't show up on my phone either.
    On that last point: is this a POP account, with Outlook set to remove messages from the server immediately? You may want to leave messages for at least a day to allow the Blackberry to sync correctly. If I recall correctly, it's on the last tab ("Advanced") of the dialog that comes up when you click "More Settings".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    On that last point: is this a POP account, YES
    with Outlook set to remove messages from the server immediately? YES You may want to leave messages for at least a day to allow the Blackberry to sync correctly. If I recall correctly, it's on the last tab ("Advanced") of the dialog that comes up when you click "More Settings".
    Ok I will give that a go, meanwhile back at the ranch, I received your reply on my BB as well as in Outlook. That is ok, but! here is another wrinkle. Your reply was in the correct "Reply to Post" folder, but it was also in another folder not even remotely related..... And the hits just keep on a comin!..I am seriously thinkin the problem is in Outlook and that maybe starting from scratch with the rules might just be the ticket here. Maybe something there in is corrupted.
    Thanks John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a quick thought, have you added the action "Stop Processing More Rules" to each of your rules?

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it drove me nuts until I found one of my rules didn't have the above action therefore allowing multiple rules to be applied to the incoming message.

Thanks
    Meanwhile back at the ranch...
    I found one rule, that had the potential to screw up my e-mail. I should have copied it... and I deleted that. Next I un checked "On this machine only". I did not however choose to leave messages on server at this point, mainly because whatever I happened, by deleteing the weird rule, and un checking the on this machine only, thing are somewhat back to normal. By that I mean I still have one or two domains that come in and dont go to where they are supposed to. When that happens I am dragging them to the Inbox, deleting the existing rule, and re doing it. Will see what happens.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    It's been 4 days now since I made the changes posted last, and all is well.
    Thanks John