New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Fails to Logon to Network Share

I have a W7HP laptop which has had a a server network drive mapped and working without any problems for some time. I have just created a new user login to the laptop, and I cannot get that user on to the server drive. - It is shown in Explorer, but asks for a user name and password when attempting to connect, but my network credentials are being rejected, saying that the username or password is bad. The network share is actually a Linux Samba share, and I would have started to look there if my other user login to the laptop didn't work either. - I do, of course have other machines on the network working fine: Two other W7HP, a couple of Vista and an old XP. All the connections are wired. I've compared the network configurations, and tried everything I can think of... Does anyone have any ideas..?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh... And the laptop can see and access the shares on the other Windows clients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the error your receiving states as you say "the username or password is incorrect" then it's one of them. You may need to create a user account on the Samba box with the same username and password in order to log in to it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That wouldn't explain how or why the other machines, as well as this one on the other login, work OK with the share as things are. - None of them have matching Samba user accounts.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK but the error states "the username or password is bad" so one of them is incorrect. Because if it couldn't connect it would state that first. So it's actually making it to the machine and checking the credentials but they're not correct.

Thanks
    You might have to sign onto the router to check your user name and password. The manual and / or website for the router manufacturer can show you how. For my Linksys router I have to open my browser and type 192.168.1.1 then add a user name and PW to sign on. This is not the same as the router signon user name and PW. In know the default for the Linksys was User: admin, PW: password (if I remember correctly) Your documentation or the web site should give you this info. Then go to the wireless section and check the credentials.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What? Router?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butchcoats View Post
    What? Router?
    No... No router. Just a simple switch.

The credentials work fine for other machines, and for this one with a different user, so there is nothing wrong with them. There is something more mysterious going on here! - I found one suggestion that it may be due to clock alignments, but they are both referenced to the same NTP server.

Thanks
    Sorry, I though you were talking about a network served by a router.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Did you map the drive for the new user account?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd love to be able to map the drive, but it asks for the user name and password to do it.

Thanks
    Have you tried creating still another new user and see if the problem replicates?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I've tried both Administrator and Standard user accounts. - I even set up a new account with the same user name and password login to the laptop as one of my server administrator accounts. - No joy!

I am wondering if it's something to do with Samba password compatibility mentioned in Susan Bradley's article in the WS Newsletter on 30 June. However, I still find it curious that it should work with another account on the same machine. I checked the Microsoft work-around KB2536276 as suggested, and found the registry entry already set as instructed, so I'm dubious about that one, too.