Thread: USB Vs Ethernet

Thanks

USB Vs Ethernet

I have a Motorola 5120 modem and it has two way of being connected to a PC. I have it connected with a USB cable because I do not have a Ethernet card on my MB. What I have been told is that if I had an Ethernet card and had my modem connected to it my download speeds wold be much faster. Is a Ethernet connection faster than a USB connection? Also, if I decided to install an Ethernet card, how would I know which one to install? Please reply.
    Catz

Thanks
    If your potential download speeds are greater than 5-6Mb, then an ethernet connection might give faster throughput.
    A RealTek 8139 network adapter will install on almost every OS since about 1992 (and some from earlier), but the speeds will vary a little, as will the CPU% used by it, it depends on who made it and how many corners were cut.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The advantage with ethernet is in expansion, not speed. If you have multiple PCs. TVs, game boxes etc you can connect them all to the internet with an ethernet modem/router. If you only have one PC stick to USB.

cheers, Paul