Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Music CD for car stereo from YouTube videos

I downloaded and converted a bunch of YouTube music videos to mp3 audio, with the idea of putting them on a CD for playing in my car stereo. I was thinking by converting to audio (FVD Suite), then there wouldn't be a problem with the video. However, after creating audio CDs with Ashampoo Burning Studio and CDBurnerXP, the CD plays fine on computer but in the car there's no sound as it plays. Obviously, I've missed something(s). Any suggestions for how to do this? Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-09 at 01:44.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using CD-R and not RW? Did you finalize the CD?

Joe

Thanks
    Car stereo's usually use .cda format and preferably CD +/- R newer models can play mp3's.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Use MediaMonkey to burn the MP3s to CD, it will convert the files for you - don't expect much in the way of quality from a youtube source.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea. While the other apps finialized, I thought when Media Monkey put a .m3u file at top level the problem was solved. But still, it plays but no sound on the car player (fine on HD). This is, of course, a concocted disc; other .mp3's burned from downloaded CDs do play on the car player. Any ideas why this might be happening?
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-10 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Hi highstream,

About a year ago, I did exactly the same thing that you are trying to do using converted YouTube videos. I used Ashampoo Burning Studio and the setting below in the screen cap. The resulting disc plays fine in my car player. If you have already tried this, please forgive me for wasting your time. BTW, Paul was quite correct about the resulting sound quality. Some of the songs sound fine, others are abysmal.

Burn CD.jpg

Good luck!
    John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I made the same choices in Ashampoo Burning Studio, as well as now in three other apps, there must be a bit more to it. Btw, I'm using CD-R's.

Afterthought: One thing I notice about these attempts is on a regular CD/DVD player, such as attached to my TV, the tracks can be advanced using the >> button, but in my car the CD appears as one single track (w/o sound), i.e., advancing just returns to the beginning. Could the answer to the puzzle lie there?
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-11 at 10:02.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to choose the "Burn Audio CD (for any CD player)" option. This will produce a CD in the same format as a shop one.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I miswrote in the last post. Both "Burn Audio CD (for any CD player)" in Media Monkey and "Create an Audio CD (that can be played on normal CD players)" in Ashampoo turn out CDs with .cda files - "Track01.cda," etc. - which from what I understand are contentless, not usable. The only way I've found to get .mp3's is to burn as data files, but as I say while those run on PC and standalone CD/DVD player correctly, in the car stereo they run as one file and w/o audio. So, what am I missing? Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-11 at 17:07.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My mistake. I assumed those .cda's wouldn't play in the car because they didn't on computer and my reading was they don't contain musical information. Thanks for your help. Is "track" the standard title for CDs, or is there a way to include the actual title?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    I assumed those .cda's wouldn't play in the car because they didn't on computer and my reading was they don't contain musical information.
    highstream,

I take it that your CD played in your car player, fantastic! I include the following because it may be useful to future readers of your thread. I was intrigued by your problem so did a little research on my own. First I converted two YouTube MP4 videos to MP3, and then burned them to a CD using Ashampoo. I verified that the resulting CD played in my car player. The CD showed two .cda files when in my computer disk player. I ripped the CD to my hard drive which resulted in two MP3 files, which I guess is what I expected, since that was the output setting. But at least I was then sure that the music files were indeed on the CD, not withstanding that it had played them on my car player, and I just couldn't see them in Windows. I found this article quite enlightening. Be sure to read through the discussion as well as the article. Although some of it is irrelevant, some is also useful. Long story short, in Windows the .cda files are actually pointers to the music files on the CD, so you were correct that they are "contentless, not useable". Apparently Mac and Linux OS do show the actual files. I wonder why Windows does it differently?

John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny, I found that same article. When things went quiet here and I was still stuck, I posted the problem at another forum. You might find the responses informative: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...0&#entry762891. Someone there pointed out that while those .cda files will not play individually on a computer, they will if the CD is played as a whole; i.e., from a file manager, bring up the context menu for the drive and choose play.

Thanks for the follow up and help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings there is a free suite that I use that is awesome, easy and high quality:
    http://dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-vid...e-download.htm

Best regards

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have a few good free and one paid ripper, some of which combine tasks that DVD VideoSoft seems to have as separate apps. What I do need is a good program for making video and/or audio clips from CD/DVDs or from YouTube-like downloads. Is there one among those apps at VideoSoft or elsewhere (free) that's designed for that? WinX DVD Ripper has a sister program that does it, but the cost is up toward $30 or 40.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    What I do need is a good program for making video and/or audio clips from CD/DVDs or from YouTube-like downloads.
    Might be able to help you with this. Please provide an example of what you'd like to accomplish. Are you wanting to take bits and pieces and join them together? Or maybe cut out parts that you don't want, or rearrange them?

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast