2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

long wait after connecting large external hard drive

I have a large 2TB external hard drive that is not getting much use, because Windows 7 takes such a long time checking it out before mounting it. If it's connected when I start up the computer, Windows takes over 5 minutes to boot. Not nice. In fact, when this first started happening, I thought Windows was not loading and wasted lots of time and happiness trying to troubleshoot the problem. Other than the wait period, things seem to work OK, so maybe nothing is actually wrong, although because I haven't heard of this happening to other people, I'm a little uneasy about it. Maybe there's something I can do to get Windows to mount the big HD more quickly?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Long boot times with some USB devices are a fairly common issue with Windows 7. I've never seen a formal resolution though. What happens if you wait until the system is booted and then plug in the device?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi David, I have 1 Iomega HDD 360gb thats plugged in to my electric supply and took longer to load when switched on than my Freecom HDD 160gb did (its USB powered) so I stopped the large one from indexing, this helped slightly.

Attachment 28511
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you really need this to be permanently attached? I would suggest unplugging it before boot and plugging it back afterwards. I would suggest the USB implementation of your system may be underpowered and\or overutilized, (i.e. powered speakers, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.). You also might want to turn off Windows search as this runs when you add a new disk.

Thanks
    In your system BIOS do you have USB set for its highest speed? As I recall, "Full Speed" is actually slower than "High Speed". Of course that phrasing may be different in your BIOS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows