1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Want to return my computer to factory settings, how?

Going to give an old computer away. Its going to a family member, so no fear there. Still, I want to do the complete reboot that takes the computer back to its factory settings. How?

I did it before when I had a trojan virus. It worked well. I want it that way again. All my files and history.............gone.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriksoln View Post
    Going to give an old computer away. Its going to a family member, so no fear there. Still, I want to do the complete reboot that takes the computer back to its factory settings. How?

I did it before when I had a trojan virus. It worked well. I want it that way again. All my files and history.............gone.
    As its going to a family member, just create an account for him / her then delete your own. If you have programs you wish to keep for using n you new pc, delete them also.
    George's PC Specs Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    A Google search shows many articles on restoring to factory settings. If you have a factory restore DVD, just pop i in and go for it. If not many PC's have a recovery partition put there by the manufacturer. The method is dependant on the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-10 at 13:09. Reason: additional info added
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What make and model is it?

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oooops. sorry. I googled it and yeah, found the answer. In case anyone reads this in the future with the same question on their minds:

Dell, inspiron. To go back to "factory settings", use F8 before the windows insignia appears then follow the prompts under "repair computer". Just keep in mind, all files/history........everything is lost. You'll spend a lot of time installing "updates" to windows after too if your OS is old (as was the case with mine.........shesh, 83 updates).

Thanks
    Each manufacturer has a slightly different method of accomplishing this, and yes it will bring the PC back to the time when it was first installed so ALL updates issued since then will gladly present themselves to be reinstalled. You might try any SP first. These often include many of the individual updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    A little off topic but sorta on the same boat:

83 updates!!!?
    I wonder, is there that many because the OS on this computer was Windows Vista, which was historically flawed or is that normal for an OS that has been out as long as it has been? It took close to half a day to get the updates back in there.

Thanks
    There are many updates on any OS, esp after more than a year. Win 7 is more than a year, Vista longer, XP over 10 years. 83 is not an exorbitant amount for any of these OS'es.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted