New Lounger
    Thanks

Remove all .Net programs?

My home computer with a build date of July, 2004 did not come with .Net installed, but in 2009 I began to get security updates which I installed. Have a Dell, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GH with 2 GB of RAM. Have never been a "server". Since sometimes have trouble installing the new .Net files, tried to remove them through the Control Panel. Now I keep getting updates for the ones that I removed, except they are still there. How do I fix this and do I actually need any .Net files to begin with? Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you did not install .net, that means it got installed by programs that need it, If you have programs that need it, removing .net will render those programs unusable. I'd say you should install the fixes normally, maybe reading the windows secrets patch watch to determine when it is safe to do so.
    Personally I have yet to experience any .net installation issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This all started with event viewer info stating that the Asp.Net was not the current program and needed to be updated. Could not update. As I said I am not a server and never have been. MS keeps trying to reinstall the programs I removed, but they are still listed in Control Panel and when I click them, "This program cannot be removed" comes up. Could they actually not have been removed in the first place? What programs would I have that need .Net? Am very confused. Thanks for answer. Hamlady.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Being a server or not has nothing to do with having the client pieces of .net installed. As Ruirib stated it got installed when you installed a program that need it. Without knowing all the programs you have installed it is a waste of time to just guess.

I recommend you install the fixes and not worry about it.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have been warned about removing it, however, if you still wish to do it or need to get the old removed so you can repair the installation, this guy is the top dog on all things .NET

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...8/8904493.aspx