Lounger
    Thanks

Access2000 and MDW (Acces97/2000)

I developed a secure Acces97 application with a secure MDW file. One of my
    users has Access2000. When he joined the secure MDW file, all appeared to go
    fine. However, when he opened the secure mdb, the system did not recognize
    his user name and password. The only way I could enable his access was to
    enter his name user name and password in the system.mdw on his NT
    workstation. Does anyone know why this is necessary or a how I can get
    around it. I am expecting more the my users to have Access2000. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access2000 and MDW (Acces97/2000)

I think you are getting tangled up in the Access97/Access2000 conversion issue. I've not seen this specific situation, but we ran into considerable trouble converting from 97 to 2K with secure databases. We ended up converting the front-end to 2000 and running the back-end in 97, but there are performance hits and actual corruption problems lurking in that arrangement. In addition, if the database was truly secured (did you use the wizard), then you should never be able to get into the database from any MDW file other than the one created when the database was secured. I'm afraid this isn't much help, but . . .
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. I did use the wizard to secure the database. At some point in the future, I will be switching to Access2000. But at this time my development is in Access97. I do want Access2000 users to be able to view the data, and some Access2000 users need to be able to perform updates. I did run across a reference somewhere to launching Access with command switch arguments, including which mdw file to use. I will give that a try.

If anyone has some other suggestions, I would welcome them.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well it has been a year, and I have had to upgrade to Access 2000. Does anyone know why, when converting from Access 97 to Access 2000, the ability to set permissions on modules is lost? In Access 2000, what is the alternative to setting module permissions? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That happened as a result of 2K using true VBA rather than Access Basic. Your choices now are to put a password on the modules, or to create an MDE which effectively makes the code not viewable at all - be sure to keep your development version as a MDB however.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I think that I will folow the MDE approach. Now if I can just get around the: "Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been Lost" problem. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That error message is usually a tip off that you have one of the 2002 apps installed on your machine. OXP and apps like Visio 2002, MapPoint, Project, etc., install and updated version of the VBE library that can cause problems when you're working in Access 2000. Take a look at MSKB article Q304548.
    Charlotte