Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop will not boot

My niece's Toshiba laptop refuses to boot. Most of the time it does not even show the first boot screen, the one that says "Press F2 for setup, F12 for boot menu". Instead it just has a blank screen and the fan runs very fast. On very rare occasions, it will get to that first boot screen, and one time when it did I booted off the Windows 7 repair cd and ran chkdsk /r from the command line. It found no errors. I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic, it found no errors.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    How old is the laptop? This sounds like a hardware failure. If it's still under warranty take it back. If not a visit to a repair shop might be called for. I suppose you could open the access ports in the bottom and ensure that the HD and RAM (these are what I can easily get to in my laptops) are properly seated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I agree that it seems time for the manufacturer warranty service. But I figured I'd check here in case I was overlooking something. I did re-seat the RAM already, did not bother with the hard drive since it seems unlikely it would affect the boot screen appearing.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Any ideas what to try next?
    Vincenzo,
    Hello....You could also make sure that the "Power Supply" connections are all mounted securely ....as well as all the rest ...It's worth a shot. Regards Fred
    PS:It also sounds like the fan feed back to the PC (Temperature signal From CPU) might be running "open loop" so the (Fan) is on full.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-10 at 13:37.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    With the fans running at full spped, it sounds like an overheating problem. Do you leave the laptop plugged in all the time? It should be disconnected from power when not in use use as the battery can be overcharged and heat up. Also, get a can of compressed air and blow out all the cooling vents.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Vincenzo,
    Hello....You could also make sure that the "Power Supply" connections are all mounted securely.
    What connections do you refer to? This is a laptop, so are you referring to the DC power connector?

Jerry, the laptop is cold, been off for days, and the fan runs. Not a real heat issue, possibly open loop as Fred suggests, or just an oddball manifestation due to the state it is locked in.

Thanks
    Vincenzo, if it's still under warranty then take it back. This really sounds like a warranty issue. Whether it's a connection issue or a PS issue or MB or whatever, these should all be covered under warranty. Laptops are not nearly as easy to disassemble and repair as a desktop and a little slip could void the aforementioned warranty.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post

What connections do you refer to? This is a laptop, so are you referring to the DC power connector?
    Vincenzo,
    Hello.... Yes anything that has a connector ...Could be loose ( have had that happen to my desktop) or is not making proper contact...you could just remove and re-seat everything that could possibly be causing the problem. Once had a loose motherboard , caused all sorts of problems...Anyway this would be an "easy" first try .. and if not we can then move forward to the more complex. Best to start with the simple things first. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No boot, not even a BIOS POST. Good clue there. The single good boot to run chkdsk indicates to me the drive is OK. I would suspect failing motherboard or the death of this machine. You haven't indicated the age of this machine, but if it is new enough you may be able to get a replacement board, BUT IMHO you will need the best of luck as IME the majority of laptop boards are only available for the first year of life. As others have said, take this to professional and abide by the verdict.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've told her to contact Toshiba for warranty support. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks
    Hi Vincenzo, have you looked in the 'Event Viewer' ?

Attachment 28531
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Unfortunately RR, if the PC will not boot, or even post I believe the Event Viewer would be unavailable to look at. It sounds as though eevery once in a great while the PC will try to boot, so this does indeed sound like a substantial hardware failure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes laptops need to be cleaned with a can of air. Years ago my old Dell laptop suddenly slowed to a crawl and the fan ran constantly. Fortunately, the cooling vents were just underneath the battery - dust had accumulated so thick on the vents that at first I thought it was a piece of felt! Removing the accumulated dust and blowing out some of the vents with a can of air fixed it right up. What you need to look for is the heat exhaust vents for the laptop and then look at what, if any, panels there are near the vent. Open the panel(s) and blow air through there. You are trying to blow the accumulated dust out of the vent (don't blow the dust into the laptop!).

Thanks
    Article from PC World on some of this cleaning.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding blowing dust out of fan vents - I like to play it safe and insert a tiny screwdriver or a toothpick through the vent in such a manner as to keep the fan from turning. Otherwise the compressed air stream can cause the fan to spin at a higher speed than it is designed for, and the bearings can be damaged.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2011-07-14 at 09:01.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast