New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows tries to install new hardware when there is no new hardware

I was using the computer last night when suddenly a typical window opened asking if I want to install the new hardware. It did not identify what hardware nor what program was trying to run. There was no link for more information. There was no new hardware, I wasn't trying to install anything. Of course, I canceled the process.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any screen shots, I was too anxious to terminate any process that might be causing damage to the system.

Has anyone else had this happen?

using Windows XP SP3
    hp slimline s7420n PC

Thanks
    It's possible this was a drive by phishing attempt. To close these windows, it always a good idea to use Task Manager as some of these nefarious phishing attempts have had the window reprogrammed so that clicking on the Red X in the corner will start the process rather than closing the window.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It's possible this was a drive by phishing attempt. To close these windows, it always a good idea to use Task Manager as some of these nefarious phishing attempts have had the window reprogrammed so that clicking on the Red X in the corner will start the process rather than closing the window.
    Yikes - I did click cancel but also then clicked on the red X. Any idea what could have resulted? Is there a way to search any windows logs to find out?

Thanks
    I would run AV and AM manual scans (complete scan) using whatever AV app you use. Then use MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware or Spybot Search and Destroy to run manual scans. if all scans are normal you are probably OK. Keep watch for strange things happening.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would run AV and AM manual scans (complete scan) using whatever AV app you use. Then use MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware or Spybot Search and Destroy to run manual scans. if all scans are normal you are probably OK. Keep watch for strange things happening.
    Thanks, Ted. I was thinking along those lines, and will do those.