New Lounger
    Thanks

Screen Blanks out on Dell Inspiron 1525

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows 7 that is a couple of years old. It has been a good home machine, but in the last three days it suddenly loses it's display for no apparent reason. The hard drive drive flickers like it's very active during the down time.

The first time this happened, I held the power button down to power down and when I restarted, it asked if I wanted to boot in safe mode. I selected to boot normally and regular system boot up occurred. All things seemed to be back to normal.

Yesterday, I got the blank monitor again with the same hard drive activity appearing. I waited until the hard drive light stopped, then pressed CTL-ALT-DEL as an experiment, and was able to re-logon with no other problems.

Today, the screen went blank again at random moment and a CTL-ALT-DEL brought me to the expected lock screen, which I cancelled and am back to normal again.

What's happening here? Is my laptop dying and in need of replacement?

There's no other symptoms. Everything else appears to be OK.

Thanks
    CJ, Welcome to the Lounge.

You don't specify what OS. I would suspect either some virus infection / activity or possibly a heat buildup problem.

For a virus, there are many posts on how to check for and clean up an infection using various AV / AM tools. If you do a search for virus or scareware or such in the advanced search box you will find many posts. Also look in the Security and Backups forum for issues relating to infections.

For a heat buildup, try using compressed air (cans of compressed air can be purchased at most PC stores) to clean out the airvents. I would also try to open whatever access ports are available in the back, remove whatever you can (I can easily get to my HDD and RAM in this method). and use the compressed air to blow back toward the air vents as much as possible to help clean out any gunk buildup. You can then securely reseat these items. A Google search shows many sites that offer advice on cleaning laptops.

Good luck, and again, welcome.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-11 at 05:22.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2011-07-11)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could try a newer video card driver?

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2011-07-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for your earlier suggestions.

I'm pretty current on antivirus and malware scanning, but just to be safe, I re-ran all my tools tonight and everything came back clean. I also used a can of compressed air to clear out all of the airvents, even though they appeared to be clear to the naked eye. And in addition, I checked the video driver I'm using a version with a later version number than I can find on the Dell web site.

The screen still blanked out tonight. While it was blank, I connected it to an external monitor and it displayed correctly. It also kicked off the laptop display again when I connected it to an external monitor. I disconnected from the external monitor and continued to use the laptop.

The screen blanked out again within 15 minutes. I let the hard drive light flicker to its hearts content before I tried anything else and the laptop actually powered off. When I pressed the on button, the laptop didn't reboot, it "resumed the session" and brought me back to where I was when the screen blanked.

Other forums say I may have a defective backlight/inverter, which costs about $30 on Amazon. I'm not brave/proficient enough to make the HW upgrade myself. Any suugestions?

Thanks
    Laptops are not nearly as easy to repair as desktops. Some will say it's an easy repair. Perhaps it is, but if it is screwed up that's $30 wasted because you will at minimum have to purchase another, and at worse screw something else up. I have built desktops in the past and feel very comfortable doing repairs on them. Laptops are another matter. i would urge you to visit a shop you are comfortable with.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Have you checked to see if you have Hibernation set for your Dell?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2011-07-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Have you checked to see if you have Hibernation set for your Dell?
    I would say that this suggestion seems to be right on the money.

cjdahl60, the fact that you stated that the laptop resumed the session also makes me think that what is happening is that your laptop is hibernating. I suggest that you check your Windows power settings and change them so that the laptop does not hibernate unless you explicitly choose so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2011-07-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your replies/suggestions. I'm sorry that I've been late to acknowledge all of your help.

I did check my power settings and hibernation was not a factor. I'm still not sure why I was sent to "resume" mode in one instance and a full reboot in other instances. However, I took the laptop into a local computer shop, explained the symptoms, described my troubleshooting efforts (including a printout of this forum thread!) and they agreed that the inverter was probably the problem. They said that in their experience, this model of Dell seems to experience this frequently.

The part was $30 and it was a half hour of labor for the technician. So now all is well for less than $100 in costs. Money well spent in my opinion. Again, thanks to everyone for your help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well, I am glad your problem is solved .